T-Shirt Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
"No User Serviceable Parts Inside?"

Guess how much a $2 thermal fuse for an Insta press costs? $50. Good luck finding the oddball type they used....pissed me off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, if you are familiar with castings, you could start with an aluminum plate, mill it out for the element and cast over the top of it (obviously, the alloys should be the same, and the plate would need to be preheated).
Alternately, you could cast the element and machine the face flat, although you would have to deal with potential warpage.

The element on my presses is about 3/8-1/2" in diameter and covers the square in 4 "loops".

The rubber pad is a very soft, open-celled rubber. You can easily press your thumb into it to the bottom platen. This probably helps quite a bit with misalignment of the top to bottom platen.

Do it, man!
Thanks,
More useful information I was looking for :)

I can probably cast the element in the mold, my concern is if it ever needs replaced the entire platen would have to be re-cast. If I can think of a sufficient way to make it replaceable I would prefer that. Something I'll have to put thought into.
Already been thinking about a sheet metal cover insulated to prevent burns if someone were to lay their hand on it when closed.
I don't want a near 400F surface exposed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
"No User Serviceable Parts Inside?"

Guess how much a $2 thermal fuse for an Insta press costs? $50. Good luck finding the oddball type they used....pissed me off.

Yep, that is another advantage of building things. I can use the $2 fuse as long as it's the correct working fuse, no need to buy the $50 oddball.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Edit,
Never mind, I got a reply back from ProWorld they have not changed the machine or the picture, I really thought the picture was a blue machine before though and now it is black?
Maybe I had it confused with the other machines that are blue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks guys.

I haven't found anything for $150 yet :(
I found some on E-bay like Black magic for more and $100 shipping, but the things I've read about them so far did not sound that good. Others like the 6 in 1 and 9 in 1 stuff looks decent but gimicky, a bit expensive, and $100 for shipping! Not found much for reviews on those but I don't expect them to be that great, maybe a Back Magic with extras?
Hi,

I found a heat press on ebay for £80 (about $135) + £15 p&p ($25), but perhaps look for deals with a 'pick up only' p+p offer, obviously you'd need a car or cab to get it home but it's worth looking into.

The one I got was second hand and although I was apprehensive about it it's definitely the best thing I've bought for my business to date, they are worth spending the money on as you'll make it back in sales in the long run. It took me 1 week to make the money back + quadruple!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I been watching E-bay but not finding anything I actually want yet.
Not found anything local yet.

I think the Pro Word deal is the best I found so far to buy one. Most people seem to like the machine fine.
I was going to order one but the site said out of stock till Sept. 25 since sometime last week, I refreshed the page today and now on back order till Oct. 2 !
I normally do not back order things, especially a $500 order!
I sent e-mail to ask about this.

In the meantime I am rounding up parts to build mine still as I have time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just an update, I am still going to be building my heat press.
Other life stuff got in the way for a bit needing attention first.
Looks like ProWorld got those machines in stock now maybe, but I could not find the $169 machine with $300 transfers special deal so I called. I was told the deal is gone for now, give it a few weeks to a month and the deal will be back I was told.

While I wait I will build something!

I found a set of 4 elements on E-bay I thought might work well for 2 units, amazing how sellers want you to buy their stuff but won't be bothered answering a simple question.
I was thinking about buying 4 sets, that would be 16 elements total. At 700 watts each, 2 would be 1400watts which I think would work good and spread heat well with a thick top platen.

·
Registered
911 Posts
what would you use as a thermostat? mines broken and am having a hard time replacing it,
Thanks and good luck with the project.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
what would you use as a thermostat? mines broken and am having a hard time replacing it,
Thanks and good luck with the project.
Since your press is already built it depends on how the press is designed and what is broke on it what kind of part you would need. How many Watts the heater and how things are wired up etc...

Well all, I have not gave up on the project but I did get busy with other things and had other problems keeping me busy and offline, so I have not built mine yet. I drew up some plans for the parts but never started making them yet.
Maybe this weekend I'll make time during the Holiday to at least get the frame built?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Good luck w/ your project. I found a thermo for mine for 100.00..unfortunately I fried it..so ill stick with what i have till Im ready to replace the whole thing.
Btw..it was a thermo from a restaurant deepfryer..and I screwed it up..hehe.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Des glad to see you are still going though with this hope to see pics soon...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try embedding some toaster oven elements in a thin slab of concrete on a sheet of metal. Try also to embed the thermostat of an oven in the concrete also and connect it together with the heating elements to control them. (If you look in the oven on your stove you will see a long slender probe. It is connected to the oven temperature control buttons. The old fashioned dial type may work better.) That is what I intend to try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
People fear the unknown, and to MOST people the world itself is unknown!

True in the long run I may not save a ton of money on one 15"x15" unit, but then I can build as many as I want any size I want. Also if I want something specail sized for my own use I can build that also!

No User Serviceable Parts Inside? How many times have I taken a $100 Micro wave destined for the trash and replaced a simple $1 fuse? Good as new and safe as new, same fuse as new! Or I have manually cleaned the heads on a VCR or DVD player that was not working, good as new!

People just don't learn to live life much anymore.
It's work and TV or games and more work.
The only thing to fear is fear itself! OH and also government!

Heating with electricity is nothing more than basic resistance! It does not need to be your trade, you just need to know basics of electricity! Like 8th grade class where I went to school!
Bro . Did you ever do it? The suspense is kkilling me.ive thought about just making a lower platoon. I think it would be hella cool to design a whole machine. Lemme know

·
Registered
449 Posts
I recall the days. My first live edge river table I made cost me $600 to make. Could have bought one at Home Goods for $89. But I did do it my way.
Sometimes, because we can does not make it a good decision.
Now, if your real agenda was to actually get into the heat press making business, that would be different and a good opportunity to ask, "What drives all of you crazy about your heat press?" Or "If you re-imagined a heat press, what would it be?" That makes sense.
That does not mean I will not make a 'home table' that will cost me 10 to 100 times more than the one I can buy at RH.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts