T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is ridiculous! It had to be 110 deg. in my shop today. The flash was on, the dryer was on, and it was hot outside!
We have one big fan to blow some air around. The AC works perfect in the front office area, but the warehouse is an oven! What the hell?!? What do you guys do to make it liveable in your printing area with the dryers going?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Hotter Than Hell!!!!

Im glad Im not the only one! Im in Texas and I print D.I.Y right out of my garage... When I moved into my new house I thought it was a cool idea to paint my entire garage black??? And yea, its safe to say Im sweating my tail off every day. No matter how many fans, or if I print during the night! Its hot!!!

I have no A/C in my garage! But, Im right there with you! I hate the heat!!!

<3DK

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Hotter Than Hell!!!!

Our shop is two stories and it gets hotter than snot. In the summer we come in early in the morning and go off mid-afternoon. We have a extra powerful fan installed into one wall upstairs to suck out all the hot air that is trapped in the building all night. The scary thing is that we have 4 industrial air conditioning units on our roof and it is still very uncomfortable sometimes. The main thing you have to be careful of is having too much air blowing around that it might mess up the cure in your dryer.

·
Registered
804 Posts
if you can.... blow air in on the cool side of the building...if there is a window/etc..... also try to circulate the high heat thats trapped .... get a few box fans and keep that heat out of the attic/rafters/etc....... install roof vents if possible.....

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's because you don't get it very often... lol hot weather sucks when it's all the time.

Try putting on a couple swamp(water) coolers :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think your best option will be to look at extraction rather than moving hot air around, the catch is if your pumping the heat out it will be pulling air back in (unless your doing well and are happy to pay for refrigerative aircon of course!) so your only realistically going to be able to keep it to the temperature outside. Evap cooling introduces humidity so generally not viable of course!

If you can cross ventilate that will make a big difference but if you have a shop at the front with AC (and I am assuming it is "sealed" off from the workshop area) then the only opening is probably the roller door. Is there some windows you can open to create a natural breeze? (try to use thermal dynamics and the local wind pattern to your advantage if you can)

Can you perhaps move the layout around so the "hot" equipment is closer to the door/extraction area? Or can you add an extraction system above them similar to a fume extraction system vented to the outside?

·
Registered
804 Posts
hence pull air in from the cool side of the building...mainly the north since its in the shade..... the south side of buildings are normally always in the sun.......

other things.... are you in a garage with a high roof?..... gotta vent the roof or the heat will sit there..

·
Registered
16 Posts
you can keep that heat.. thats the reason i moved to the NC mountains to get away from that heat.. i mean now if its 85-90 its hot lol and im from fayetteville so i used to work out in the heat all the time no problem.. not now.. my shop is hot though.. computer repair.. with computers running it gets kinda stuffy.. i have a big squirrel cage fan that blows out the door.. does pretty good.. :D

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Welcome to The World of screen printing...lol Were in Dallas Tx and you can't A/C production and make any money.
We start at 6 AM till 4PM, We have 3 overhead doors that are open, 2 roof exhausts fans and its still hot!! I guess its part of the business because you have to stay competitive.

·
Registered
285 Posts
We are in Alabama and "hot as snot" isn't even close to what it gets here! It was 100 degrees outside with 90% humidity the other day and OMG it was hot in there screen printing. We open the front door and a back door, put in a fan in the back to pull out the heat and run 2 big fans inside to move the rest of the hot air around! We have AC but with the heat we output there's no sense in running up the electric bill so it stays off most of the time. We just try to dress cool and enjoy the screen printers way of staying thin :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey,
I just put a 5ton a/c in our shop started it up last week oh yea it works got temp down to 82 when it was 102 last wk...look in a local "shoper type paper get a "package" type unit duct is not nessessary just rig it so the air right into the shop cost a couple of $ but man o man ....jeff

·
Registered
390 Posts
In our first shop, (in the Texas panhandle), we had a resturant equip. co. install a hood above the oven . Worked great. Brought in the cool air from the other areas and took out the hot air. Was a bit on the expensive side but when its 106 in the shade WHO CARES:D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I see one answer in your picture. Put a vent pipe on your dryer, dump it to the outside through a wall, skylight, open door or what ever is handy.

You won't be wearing a hoodie to print, but a lot of the heat that is spilling in your shop will be carried out the vent pipe.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah John, I know. I'm renting/leasing my space. Talked to my landlord Friday about the heat. I'd have to put a huge hole in the wall or ceiling and it ain't my building. I already put holes in the wall for my air and electric lines for my compressor- it's outside. I may have a fix though for the venting situation. Well if I can do some printing in the winter, the heat will come in handy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts