T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm beyond-brand-new, DTG printer is arriving next week!! I need to purchase a new Hotronix XRS Swinger (compressed air model). I live in Oregon, near Portland, & would like to purchase it locally, IF possible?? The only place I've found is "Wellington House". Are there other places locally to purchase from? IF not do you have any recommendations for on-line sites? Thanks very much for your help. Lollie

·
Registered
938 Posts
Check the T-Shirtforums Preferred Vendor list on the left side of the forums page to find ones who sell this press.

If you are able to purchase locally, bring help. These presses cannot be carried by one person. The packaged weight of the XRS is approx 265 lbs, plus they come free with a stand.

Also, have you purchased your compressor?

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
These presses and the air compressor are just too noisy for me..and no one has shown me why I need the compressed air machine

·
Registered
938 Posts
I could see investing in one only if I pressed a large volume of items daily and did not want to get arm/upper body fatigue.

I do like that this model comes with a stand for free. However, there is the added cost of a compressor. I have heard noisy ones too!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello AB!
Yes we already have a 2-stage, 12 horse, max 250 lb pressure, 120 gal tank compressor that's already piped into the shop. My husband & I aren't young anymore (darn it!!), and our physical strength isn't getting any better, so we were thinking maybe this would be the easiest for us. I know they are noisy, but this tank sits on the outside, in the back of his shop, so I'm thinking it probably won't be so bad. If you know of other brands, models, etc, where "physical ease of use" is primary, PLEASE let me know (as this is our first "venture"), into this type of thing! Also, we have not physically seen this press, just viewed it on the net.

My thoughts about trying to find someone locally, is that way maybe they would have a floor model we could actually see. Also, (as a newbie) is there any advantage to buying one locally as opposed to purchasing on the net??? Warranty wise, in case of repairs needed, etc.??0 Any thoughts, feedback I would be grateful for. About the only disadvantage that we could think of, is that IF we wanted to transport the whole outfit & work out of a booth, (because we would need a smaller air tank compressor) is that then a regular (non-air) model would be better?? !! But, with our limitations, we don't think we will be on the road with it, (but then....ya never can tell .....!) Anyway, thank you for listening, again any feedback & knowledge is welcomed.
Sincerely,
Lollie

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would think the advantage would be shipping cost. I have seen a air press in operation and the air compresser was located behind a wall and it was far enough awy not to hear. The prss itself was very easy to open and close and only made a small hiss sound when press and released. The press , I saw was a HIX Brand. I would think the warrenty is not a issue as most warrenties are from the manfacturer. I think most places you would but from would expect the factory to service it and would be of little help to you. I would suggest calling the Factory service center and ask them your warrenty questions and to find the nearest vendor. Good luck and let us know how it turns out . ... JB

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think the advantage would be shipping cost. I have seen a air press in operation and the air compresser was located behind a wall and it was far enough awy not to hear. The prss itself was very easy to open and close and only made a small hiss sound when press and released. The press , I saw was a HIX Brand. I would think the warrenty is not a issue as most warrenties are from the manfacturer. I think most places you would but from would expect the factory to service it and would be of little help to you. I would suggest calling the Factory service center and ask them your warrenty questions and to find the nearest vendor. Good luck and let us know how it turns out . ... JB

Dear JB,
Thank you for the reply, it helped. So basically IF I understand correctly, the mfg is the only warranty reallly that these machines have. So.... it really doesn't matter "who" you buy them from, as far as possible future repairs, servicing, etc??? Is this correct thinking? The only other factor being "where" it ships from because of the freight charges, correct?? Sorry to be so pesky! Lollie:)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hi Lollie,

For the reasons you stated, I can understand why you are looking at this type of press. :) Very smart too in wanting to see one in person.

One advantage to purchasing locally is if you need to return it for a repair for any reason, you're able to do so more quickly than having it shipped.

The other important thing is to buy from an authorized dealer so that you have a valid warranty. Non-authorized dealers generally mean, no warranty is available. If a local dealer does service calls, that's really awesome so you nor the press has to leave the location for repairs. Ask about this if you find such a dealer.

If for some reason you have to purchase online, seek out a T-Shirtforums vendor/dealer, as some offer free shipping. I strongly suggest working with a dealer who offers technical support to you after the sale. The dealer I purchased from is available to me, as is the press manufacturer, for support. However, my dealer is more readily available than the manufacturer for support calls when needed.

Unfortunately, returns you have to make for press repairs will be at your cost for shipping (non-local purchase).

One more tip: Do Not throw away your press packaging container under any circumstance! Some manufacturers will not warranty your press nor perform repairs if you ship a press to them in a different than original container.

I believe this is true of Stahls'/Hotronix presses but confirm first by calling the Hotronix company, not a dealer, to confirm. http://hotronix.com/contact.htm

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Lollie,

For the reasons you stated, I can understand why you are looking at this type of press. :) Very smart too in wanting to see one in person.

One advantage to purchasing locally is if you need to return it for a repair for any reason, you're able to do so more quickly than having it shipped.

The other important thing is to buy from an authorized dealer so that you have a valid warranty. Non-authorized dealers generally mean, no warranty is available. If a local dealer does service calls, that's really awesome so you nor the press has to leave the location for repairs. Ask about this if you find such a dealer.

If for some reason you have to purchase online, seek out a T-Shirtforums vendor/dealer, as some offer free shipping. I strongly suggest working with a dealer who offers technical support to you after the sale. The dealer I purchased from is available to me, as is the press manufacturer, for support. However, my dealer is more readily available than the manufacturer for support calls when needed.

Unfortunately, returns you have to make for press repairs will be at your cost for shipping (non-local purchase).

One more tip: Do Not throw away your press packaging container under any circumstance! Some manufacturers will not warranty your press nor perform repairs if you ship a press to them in a different than original container.

I believe this is true of Stahls'/Hotronix presses but confirm first by calling the Hotronix company, not a dealer, to confirm. Untitled Document
Hello again AB,
Thank you very much! Maybe my mind will rest for a while now. There is so much that we are learning, that is GOOD.

Your knowledge was greatly appreciated. And an excellent TIP, I wouldn't have thought about the crate!!

IF you think of anything else, my ears are always open!

One more question if you have time...., I've been reading on this site about "teflon covers"? I'm not sure what they are (I think they are an aid to keeping your top platen cleaner??) & with the Brother DTG will I be needing to purchase those also?

Wishing you a peaceful evening,
Lollie

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Hi Lollie :)

There are quite a few here that use a teflon bra cover on the top of their press, that use the brother machine. One of the bennifits is that it keeps the moisture from the steam from building up in your top platen. I myself use the DTG HM1 machine and have been thinking of getting the bra for mine. With this you do not need to cover your garment when pressing as it just stays on your top platen. Here is a link that tells more about it. http://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-garment-dtg-inkjet-printing/t54878.html, Here is another thread that has a link to the company that sells them Inkjet Garment Printing - Screen Printing University • View topic - heat press issue.

Hope this helps some :)

Reactions: Lollie Conn

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw an xrs 16x20 online. Should I purchase this heat press as my commercial press--transitioning de the jp12 and 14. I found a good deal for $600. Seller messages me that a compressor is not necessary. I like the fact that it's a reputable press that is large? I have 3 hours to decide whether to purchase it. Seller says this old hotronix xrs swing away is electric and does not require an air compressor but reading this forum, it looks like it does.

Advice???

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would call the manufacturer, (or email them with your questions), that would give you your answer, for sure.

http://hotronix.com/contact.htm

Since you asked for advice.....here's mine......that price you were given seems awfully, awfully low. Be VERY careful, scams are alive and well. And it seems as if scamming is getting worse every year. This one is arousing my suspicions, be careful.

Lollie

·
Registered
23 Posts
The seller messaged that he owned a screenprint shop and had like 12 heat presses...

I called the hotronix acontact number and they said. The xrs2 model did require an air compressor or the machines would not have any pressure.

I rather go with what the manufacturer says than what the seller has practiced.

Thanks Lollie for the advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts