T-Shirt Forums banner

Hotronix Gas Springs

17K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Fmclark86 
Did anyone find a cheaper source for these? We need to replace our gas springs, too, and I hate to pay about $80 (shipped cost) for two of these when I know many gas springs are only about $15 each shipped.

I contacted SPD (the gas spring manufacturer) and the direct price is almost identical ($33.71 each plus shipping).

Yep.....when ours died I took one of them to a O'Reillys auto parts store down the street, they have a display and I matched it up with the length and style of connections (ball joint vs stud) they we're around $13ea and work like a charm.
No luck here. Everything my O'Reilly had was too long. They would have been able to order a "toolbox" one that was close to the right size, but it was more expensive than buying the right one through Hotronix. :(

I'm much more confident that the gas springs are the problem, as well. When I took them off, one extends a good 1/2" to 1" longer than the other.

We've probably pressed several thousand transfers on it, so in the scheme of things another $80 in expenses is pretty insignificant. :) I'll be ordering from Hotronix tomorrow, unless I hear of a better source in the meantime.

I called Hotronix and they gave me the specs for it. It 85 pounds of force and 10" extended.

Looking on SPD's web site (spdhardware.com), the closest I could find was GSNI-5000-80. It's only 80 pounds of force, but I figure that should be close enough.

I searched around on eBay and found some marine gas springs with comparable specs and picked up a pair for about $25 shipped.

I called Hotronix and they gave me the specs for it. It 85 pounds of force and 10" extended.

Looking on SPD's web site (spdhardware.com), the closest I could find was GSNI-5000-80. It's only 80 pounds of force, but I figure that should be close enough.

I searched around on eBay and found some marine gas springs with comparable specs and picked up a pair for about $25 shipped.
FWIW, it seems like the 80 pound spings are WAY stronger than they need to be. The top pops up rather vigorously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.