T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! This is my first time to post here. First of all, I'd like to say thank you everybody for being so helpful in this forum. I've learned a lot from you guys even by just reading.

I have a question for the experienced regarding ALL HOT PEEL plastisol transfers (hot split, double hot split, puff). I got my samples from First-edition. All my hot peel transfers wasn't successful. Attached picture will say it all. I followed time/temperature settings with heavy pressure on my Hix Swingman, but failed. Tried different settings in my next presses, but still failed. Has anybody failed the first time with hot peel, then discovered this is a better method compared to cold peel? Is there any trick to this method? I don't see what I'm doing wrong. I'm just following the directions. Never had problems with cold peel. Any input is greatly appreciated.

P.S.
I have an infant and a toddler, a job, and this new business, that keep me crazy busy. So if I can't reply right away, you know where I'm at. ;)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/azvelcelis/my_photos

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Hi Azvel, sorry to hear you are having problems with Hot Peels from firstchoice.
Is this one of the Hot Peel transfers you are talking about ?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
MotoskinGraphix said:
What temp settings and dwell times are you using? Are you removing the moisture from the shirts with a pre-press? When you say heavy pressure...how heavy?
David's questions play a part in the end result. I cant see firstchoice giving you defective samples.

Good quality Hot Peel Plastisol Transfers for Dark shirts are really easy to apply and work everytime.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
T-BOT said:
Hi Azvel, sorry to hear you are having problems with Hot Peels from firstchoice.
Is this one of the Hot Peel transfers you are talking about ?

Yes, that is one of them. If you click on my link, the entire HOT PEEL folder consists of hot split, double print hot split, and puff... all peeled while it's hot.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
azvel said:
Hi everybody! This is my first time to post here. First of all, I'd like to say thank you everybody for being so helpful in this forum. I've learned a lot from you guys even by just reading.

I have a question for the experienced regarding ALL HOT PEEL plastisol transfers (hot split, double hot split, puff). I got my samples from First-edition. All my hot peel transfers wasn't successful. Attached picture will say it all. I followed time/temperature settings with heavy pressure on my Hix Swingman, but failed. Tried different settings in my next presses, but still failed. Has anybody failed the first time with hot peel, then discovered this is a better method compared to cold peel? Is there any trick to this method? I don't see what I'm doing wrong. I'm just following the directions. Never had problems with cold peel. Any input is greatly appreciated.

P.S.
I have an infant and a toddler, a job, and this new business, that keep me crazy busy. So if I can't reply right away, you know where I'm at. ;)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/azvelcelis/my_photos
I think you should contact First Edition and send them shots of how your transfers are pressing and see what they say. What type press do ya have and how old is it? Were these samples or something you ordered from them?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
jdr8271 said:
youre not the only one...I have never been able to get hot peel transfers to work properly. The cold peel with adhesive crystals from first-edition works easily for me though, so that is what I order.
Jon, you have posted before about hot peel transfer problems and if your gear was looking like the above mentioned samples I can see why. I havent ordered any custom made transfers just stock images and they work perfectly. I am wondering what the differences could be. I agree those look terrible and certainly arent feasable to use let alone want to even purchase. The sample transfers posted arent very large or detailed. Did your transfers look like these examples?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MotoskinGraphix said:
What temp settings and dwell times are you using? Are you removing the moisture from the shirts with a pre-press? When you say heavy pressure...how heavy?
I pre-press garment for 5 sec.

I followed instructions on paper:
  • For HOT SPLIT, 375 in 15 sec
  • For Double Print HOT SPLIT, 365 in 8 sec
  • For Puff, 375 in 5 sec
Then on my next press, I increased temp a little bit. Same results.

Then I increased pressure (up to the max pressure my heat press can do).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MotoskinGraphix said:
I think you should contact First Edition and send them shots of how your transfers are pressing and see what they say. What type press do ya have and how old is it? Were these samples or something you ordered from them?
Yes, I will also contact them. These are just samples fron First Edition. I thought there is a trick with this method. Although I have some good hot peel results, but are not perfect (using same method). Here's the link:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/azvelcelis/album?.dir=aed8scd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/azvelcelis/my_photos

I have 2 month old Hix Swingman that is great, no problems with all transfers except hot peel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Make sure you pre-heat the press for al least 15 sec. Moisture is the problem either in the shirt or in the transfer. Sometimes you can lay the transfer back down and press again for 12-15 sec. When you peel try not to peel up but grap a corner from the top and peel towards you. This works for me.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Try pre-pressing the shirt for at least 20 seconds to get rid of the moisture and while the shirt is warm press the transfer for 8-10 seconds at 385-395degrees medium/heavy pressure. The pre-press you are doing may be just to heat the shirt and lower platon and not enough time to get the moisture out of the shirt...especially dark colored shirts.

If you are using hotsplits with a teflon sheet over the transfer...dont use the teflon sheet. Peel the transfer as soon as you open the press from corner to corner in a steady singular motion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MotoskinGraphix said:
I agree those look terrible and certainly arent feasable to use let alone want to even purchase. The sample transfers posted arent very large or detailed. Did your transfers look like these examples?
Please click on the thumbnails to view them larger.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
azvel said:
Please click on the thumbnails to view them larger.
I am hoping these are just old samples but cant figure why a company that does custom would send out old junk. Junk doesnt instill any confidence in a future order. This company should send out the over-runs of the last order printed as samples.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
azvel said:
Yes, I will also contact them. These are just samples fron First Edition.

I have 2 month old Hix Swingman that is great, no problems with all transfers except hot peel.
On this one, the Black color of the shirt is coming thru the Yellow area of the design.

Thats because it was not made with a white color layer behind the yellow color, thats why the black color used in the design was not used behind the bricks.
This is not your fault. Most likely it is a transfer to print on WHITE color shirts only.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll try pre pressing my shirts longer tonight and try again. I'll contact the company if everything fails. I hear good things about First Edition. I'm thinking I might be doing something that's not right. I still have faith I can do hot peel since most of you guys prefer this method.

·
Registered
950 Posts
(long post warning. LOL so I'm sorry in advance)

Generally speaking, hot splits are for light colored garments, and cold peels are for dark colored garments. Double hot splits are also created for dark garments mainly. Double hot splits are created by screen printing the lighter colors of a design onto the transfer paper, then sending it to the dryer (just enough) and then screen printing them again to give the lighter colors enough ink to maintain opacity when split to block the colors of a dark garment.

There are a few things that can be causing some of the problems I see in your sample photos. (By the way, a lot of my practice pieces look just like yours)

First of all, we'll assume that your platens are perfectly flat, and that your heat press is reaching and maintaining the proper temperature.

If you have a Teflon pad protector installed on your lower platen, make sure that it is also perfectly flat. Feel around the edges. If you feel a lump, make sure the elastic type material that stretches over the lower platen is not still sitting (bunched up) on the top surface in some places. Pull all that elastic so it's under lower platen. Uneven pressure can cause half the transfer to stick.

Make sure your press has reached the recommended temperature for every transfer. Each time you do a transfer, the lower platen steals some heat away from the upper platen.

Before you start transferring for the day, or after you take a long enough break, pre-heat the lower platen by pressing it without a t-shirt for a minute or two. A cold lower platen can give you poor results like those in some of your pictures.

Always pre-press a new garment for about 3 to 6 seconds to get the moisture out of it. Moisture will prevent a transfer from penetrating the fabric of the garment.

Do not use hot split transfers that have light colors in them on dark garments. This will lead to the dark fabric color showing through a design color. Use Double Hot Split or Cold Peel for darks.

Next, assuming you have the right temperature, and the right transfer type, you need to play around with the time and pressure a little bit. Not enough pressure will create a poor bond between the inks and the fabric. The result might have great opacity, but a poor bond. The pressure forces the melted ink into the fabric. Too much pressure will create a great bond, but poor opacity. Not enough time, will also cause a poor bond. The inks on the transfer need to melt so they will flow into the fabric. Too much time will create poor opacity. It's all a balancing act of time, heat and pressure.

Again, assuming the proper heat was reached and maintained, I'd say that you need more pressure and possibly a little more time. Since it's easy to see if you have the temp and time set correctly, start with the pressure. You need to force that ink into the fabric. If that doesn't do it, keep the greater pressure and add a couple of seconds to the time. Next, more pressure and so on.

If you bump up the heat, reduce the time a little. If the garment color is showing through a Double hot split or Cold peel, reduce the temp a little and maybe the time by 2 seconds. Change one variable at a time and test. Change temps 5 degrees at a time and test. Change dwell times 2 seconds at a time.

I usually start at the highest end of the recommendation given by the transfer manufacturer. This way, I'm pretty sure the inks will melt and sink into the fabric. If I'm at the highest recommendations, and I'm not getting a good bond, then I crank up the pressure until that sucker sticks good.

On the other hand, if the inks soak in too much, or are not opaque enough. Back off on the pressure a little and test, then try backing off the temp or time.

Cut your practice transfers into small pieces for these tests so you don't waist them. You can also cut t-shirts into small test pieces to get the most out of them.

If it seems like I'm kind of saying the same thing over and over again with little subtle changes in my wording, that's great, because that's exactly how you dial in your heat press; little subtle changes over and over until it works.

A word (many) about cold peels. They are actually a little trickier to get right. They might look great because they are so opaque, but if the inks have not soaked into the fabric enough, they will not have a long life on the garment. If they soak in too much, they leave blotchy areas in the print. If you open the press too fast, you might hot split the edges of the design which will ruin the opacity in those areas. Plus you have to peel them at just the right time.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
A...sorry but that isnt how a hot peel or hot split transfer should work at all. Should be a no brainer. 3-6 second pre-press is just silly...press for at least 20 seconds min to get the moisture out of the blank No you arent forcing any ink into the blank etc...you heatpress folks would be surprised at really what heavy pressure really is. If you cant transfer a hotpeel or hotsplit transfer at 380 for 10 seconds then something is wrong somewhere. Has nothing to do with pressure etc!!!!!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
MotoskinGraphix said:
If you cant transfer a hotpeel or hotsplit transfer at 380 for 10 seconds then something is wrong somewhere. Has nothing to do with pressure etc!!!!!
Pressure is absolutely a factor. It doesn't matter what kind of transfer - too little pressure and it simply will not get a good bond to the shirt.

This will vary with transfer manufacturers and such quite a bit too of course, but one method I've heard a few times is to help press the inks into the shirt before peeling. This would be something to the effect of pressing for 10 seconds, rubbing a cloth, rolling pin, etc. over the transfer for about 10 seconds, and THEN peeling. Works well for me with the SMG hot transfers. Probably should not be required with ideal conditions, but worth a try anyway.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Decal_Designs said:
Generally speaking, hot splits are for light colored garments, and cold peels are for dark colored garments. Double hot splits are also created for dark garments mainly. Double hot splits are created by screen printing the lighter colors of a design onto the transfer paper, then sending it to the dryer (just enough) and then screen printing them again to give the lighter colors enough ink to maintain opacity when split to block the colors of a dark garment.
sorry guys, I know I sound like a broken record but. HOT PEEL plastisol transfers 2006 work on ALL Fabric colors. NO NEED for anything else. One type of transfers is ALL you need: HOT PEEL TRANSFERS.

Like David Said: THEY ARE A NO BRAINER. (I know its hard for some of you to believe but it is true).
No offence poster, but It's True. Something is wrong. You need HOT PEEL transfers 2006 type, not transfers from the 90's type.

Good quality Hot Peel Plastisol Transfers print on ALL Fabrics colors and are EASY TO APPLY and work everytime.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts