T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever started out in a direction only to have all your plans suddenly take a left turn, and it seems you'll never get back on course?:confused:

About a year ago I set out to research some screen printing equipment in the hopes of starting a small tee shirt shop...It appeared the small community I live in was in need of more options then what was already here. But shortly after my research began on screen presses, I found myself detoured by a new machine I knew little about, the DTG printer.

After looking into it more, it became very clear this little machine would fit our needs far better than screen printing anyway, so I spoke with my business partner/son-n-law/money man, and he strongly agreed this newer technology would set us apart from those around me, as well as the bulk of my artwork was more suited to this type of printing, and we expected the bulk of our business to be short run full color stuff, geared towards the biker tourists that frequent our town, so we'd be printing on black most of the time....Perfect fit for DTG.

So I spent the next several months researching every DTG printer out there...Even flew out to Orlando to attend last years SGIA show, so we could see some equipment in person before we made a decision, and a tough decision it was, but in the end we decided we wanted to go with AA and the NeoFlex, but as luck would have it, about that same time the cash flow we were going to tap into to purchase all the equipment, suddenly dried up to a trickle of its former size, which put everything on hold unless we wanted to finance the equipment, but we had already agreed not to go down that road...We would pay our way with cash or wait till we can.

And so we wait...and wait, and in the mean time the extra cash that does trickle in has allowed me to acquire a new computer, plus be able to load it with CorelDraw X6, Photoshop and a few other useful programs. We also picked up a small Cameo plotter and most recently I've got a GeoNight heat press coming next week, so I'll be able to cut vinyl and make a few heat transfer shirts and other misc items for the time being, but its not exactly where we planned to be by this time.

I should be printing on a NeoFlex dang it...not doing one and two color stuff in vinyl...lol. I know, I'm just whining, and should be happy and thankful with what I've got so far, but after all the research and planning over the past year, to have the rug jerked out from under you at the last minute, is still a kick in the pants no matter how ya slice it. Oh well...Nothing I can do but keep chugging along and wait for things to pick back up.

In the mean time, I may see if any of the Neo family is located anywhere close to my area, and would be willing to work with me so that I might still be able to offer customers with those special jobs that need the full color and quality of print that the Neo provides, an option...Honestly, I dunno what I'm gonna do yet...try to sell some cut vinyl for now till more money for equipment is available I suppose...Ok, I'll stop crying on your shoulder and go back to dreaming of printing cool images on black shirts, until the dream becomes a reality. ;)

· Registered
8,371 Posts
Michael,
Good morning to you.
Your daughter is married. So your age is not young any more. I am glad to see you and your son in law are partner. I love family businesses. I just love Family.
I do respect your finance theory. All cash never owe money to others.
Once upon a time,
One guy(OG) was a street vendor with 3x6' fold up table set up on 13th & Market street front of bus station in Philly. One day who wear Suit and Tie gentleman(ST) open conversation to OG while ST was waiting for his bus. Start with "where you from?". OG's English was so bad. Very poor. But OG found out he was working in bank at the corner. OG asked him "does bank lend money to people like me?" ST said "Yes and smiled". OG could borrow money from Bank to start retail store. OG's first store. Payment paid off. Borrowed more and more and more. OG become 7 retail store owner with other's money in few years. Later sold all retails and got into Sewing & Printing business which is mother of AA. If ST wasn't there for OG. I don't see any possibility of AA is here.
Do not scare about use other's money but careful. Make solid affordable plan.
I will PM NeoFamily info who is near you.
Longing to see you will be one of us sooner. We will proud of you. When the time comes please contact me direct.
If you need my help I am a phone call away.
It is not that hard to change lane. Turn on right turn signal and steer wheel toward next lane. Be sure check your side mirror.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Peter, I'd appreciate a list of Neofamily in my area. You are correct sir, I am not young anymore...I turn 57 in July and I've already experienced death via 3 heart attacks that left me with a damaged heart, but its still beating albeit irregularly at times, and I do my best to get outta bed everyday and try to accomplish something. When we started down this road to starting a small family business, the advice I kept getting from many of the older businessmen that are friends of mine was to NOT go into debt if we didn't have to...So for now were gonna try and keep it that way, but it is an option should we need to go there. In fact my son-n-law has already bugged me about going ahead and borrowing the money, but at this point in time, I won't let him...As time goes on, I'll either change my mine or be glad I didn't...lol

· Registered
8,371 Posts
Michael,
Keep going like Energizer Rabbit. 57 is baby to me. I wish I am 57. :) Under 60=Kiddy, lol.
I work with my son and love my daughter in law. My son works with me. This is absolute pleasure. I watch him getting mature on business field. I watch him negotiating. I watch him how to handle emergency. I watch him how to love others. I watch him how to appreciate who did favor to him. All are enjoyment. I just invest tons of money on his behalf to purchase Big part of Aeoon. We live for next generation. Next generation will live for next and next generation. We will never match love which our parent gave to us. My kids will not do same as I did to them but they will to their children. Same pattern will repeated and will go on and on. Our job is to help them to secure their future and show them better life. For ourself is secondary option. Sadly or gracefully? LOL. We give them hope, we give them chance to fail to learn real thing while we are around.
I am sure you are wise man. If you do have clients who can run your NeoFlex 20-30 shirts per day (expect net profit $10/ea. $200-300/ day isn't a bad income). If so I want to be your 3rd partner. LOL. 2month ROI.
Anyway best luck to you and will forward NeoFamily couple (2) list when you email me. Don't want to see NeoFamily compete on your job.
[email protected]
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.