T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you recommend for a youth hoodie (hooded sweatshirt)?

The main players I see for youth are..
Gildan 7.75 ounce
Hanes 7.8 ounce
Jerzees 8 ounce

These are all 50/50 cotton/poly but I don't know what the trend is.

I've noticed the adult hoodies are heavier. They range from 8 to 11 ounce, so is a Gildan 7.75 too light?

I have an order for a few of these.

So, what are your thoughts on hoodies?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

We're currently designing a hoodie - our thing is to use organic cotton so it seems a bit counter-intuitive to be adding poly.

I've been discussing with the guys at the factory which makes our clothing - and the manager says that adding some poly in the outer layer makes it more comfortable and more durable. He says that it is normal practice to have a 20:80 poly:cotton mix.

We showed our client a range of existing hoodies (ie ones made by other people) and the general consensus was that they were much too heavy. This might well be because we've been looking at 100% cotton hoodies - does anyone know if that generally makes them heavier?

I guess it comes down to what you want to use them for. If the client just wants them as a publicity or slogan hoodie, they may well not want a heavy one. Also - apparently - a lot of hoodies get sold in the UK in the Summer (at festivals and other events) so presumably people don't want things that are too heavy at that time of year.

OK - thats probably not amazingly helpful, sorry.

J

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe,
Actually that was helpful. When I wear a hoodie, I where it to keep warm mostly but I do notice a lot of people where them even when it's not that cold out. They where them for the look I guess, so maybe a lighter weight is good in this case.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I've noticed that people associate heavier hoodies with being higher quality.

My favorite hoodies are made by Jerico Sportswear:
http://www.jericosport.com/

If you're in the sample buying process, I'd recommend checking them out.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was looking at sanmar and cannot find a gildan hoodie in youth. I just saw adult sizes. Where did you see them? I also checked blankshirts.com.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I work outside everyday and wear hoodies all the time in the cooler months here in Texas. Only time you need a heavy jacket here is if the wind is howling from the north. I may be wrong but think the poly content is there for shrinkage control. Seems like the real thick 100% cotton hoodies tend to ride up your waste and get billowy after a bit of shrinkage. I like to buy a bit oversized cause I can wear long sleeve t-shirts underneath without feeling restricted. Just my two cents worth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts