T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are wanting to expand our sign and engraving business to include apparel too. We do not have the space to operate a screen printing setup so we are interested in our next best option while using a heat press. Quality is extremely important to us and budget for equipment is not an issue. What do you recommend? White toner printer, a print/cut system, etc? We’d prefer to keep the process in-house and not purchase transfers elsewhere. We also understand that there may be instances where we take on large quantity orders and contract with a screen printer. We look forward to seeing what you have to say!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Afraid that the 100% cotton shirts will be too limiting for us to go the DTG route. We currently do a lot of 50-50 and tri-blends.
You can DTG on 50% cotton blends, but they are more challenging than 100% cotton.

We are wanting to expand our sign and engraving business to include apparel too.
If you already have a solvent/ecosolvent printer, then printable HTV would be the easiest option.
Alliteratively you can do DTF or Screen + digital transfers.
All these produce similar results, as they are essentially the same thing.

What do you recommend? White toner printer, a print/cut system, etc?
White toner is the worst option for t-shirts etc. OK for leather and other non stretch items.
Print/cut is a totally different level and quality, but will require a lot more space and machines for the sewing part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We think we are narrowed down to a DTF or solvent/ecosolvent printer. Are there any particular things we should be comparing when looking at these two options? Does one system offer more in terms of flexibility and growth of business?Is maintenance similar on each? In researching, It seems like DFT has come a long way in recent years.

If I understand correctly, to achieve a screen+Digital transfer you would need a screen printing setup, correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We received our sample back from a white toner printer company and we aren’t thrilled with the results. The print already looks flaky and like it’s going to peel. It even has a strange sheen to it. Would a high quality printable HTV give us a better product or should we look more into the DTF? We won’t be printing every day so I don’t want to get into a situation where maintenance on a machine becomes a huge issue.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
We received our sample back from a white toner printer company and we aren’t thrilled with the results. The print already looks flaky and like it’s going to peel. It even has a strange sheen to it.
It's not going to peel, but will not last more than 20-25 washes either.
As I keep saying... these transfers are not good for t-shirts you are going to sell.
Perfect for non-stretch fabrics, demo/concept shirts, and many other things... but not t-shirts.

There is no "easy" way to do it and keep the quality level high.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
We are wanting to expand our sign and engraving business to include apparel too. We do not have the space to operate a screen printing setup so we are interested in our next best option while using a heat press. Quality is extremely important to us and budget for equipment is not an issue. What do you recommend? White toner printer, a print/cut system, etc? We’d prefer to keep the process in-house and not purchase transfers elsewhere. We also understand that there may be instances where we take on large quantity orders and contract with a screen printer. We look forward to seeing what you have to say!
A heat press and custom heat transfers would work Very little impact on space, no training really and no inks, papers etc. DTG is cumbersome, expensive for the machine and expensive per unit. You need to pre treat them that takes space. You need to store inks, and each print is a different price depending on the size and if it goes on darks. Heat transfers is a set price, prints within 10 seconds enabling you to print about 7 times more per hour and you don't have to have daily flushing, cleaning etc. Thank you Artbrands

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
You have not read the question obviously.
Bob, I most certainly did read the question. I was merely telling you that spending lots of money on equipment is not necessary. Heat transfers are the best solution for apparel. Making them yourself will never be as good as having them made. Does it matter to you? Pricing on heat transfers are set not variable.
Space is no issue and if you read my post and researched you , you would save quite a bit of money NOT purchasing expensive equipment that will not do what you want to do with it. Many customers of ours use their dtg as boat anchors or table decorations. There are some good uses for them but what you want to do it is better to NOT purchase DTG
You said that you want to have the best quality. Heat transfers like from my company are extremely high quality, machine washable, soft and brighter colors. Not to mention the cost is lower and you don't have to purchase a 20000 to 500000 machine to accomplish that.
The OKI transfers dark shirts are about 4 dollars a piece. Two hits at lease , slow and expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.