T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I'm fairly new to this forum, so please do excuse me if I make any faux-pas.

My friend and I attempted to print our first ever t-shirt last night... genuinely, doubt it could've gone any worse. In the end (due to so many issues), we decided to give up for the night just after we'd attempted to burn the image onto the screen. Today, when I was trying to clean it, I ended up putting a hole in it. So incapable. Anyway, I was just wondering what the possible reasons for this could be? We're using a home-made screen, but I went to the local fabric store and bought 'silk', which the shop assistant said was ideal for silk screening. Plus, I thought I'd try removing the emulsion from the screen with bleach, as most people seem to say that the only downside to this is that it takes ages. Also, we exposed the screen for 15 minutes, using a 500 watt halogen worklight.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide... we're trying our best to not get disheartened due to this dire first attempt.

Skob.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide... we're trying our best to not get disheartened due to this dire first attempt.
Do yourself a huge favor and buy a real screen, and emulsion stripper. You are setting yourself up for a dire second attempt. It will be money well spent.
I would spend $40.00 any day to save a weeks worth of aggravation.
How did you exppose your screen? What kind of emulsion did you use.
Research research research and enjoy.

Butch

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Could it be that the Clorox burned a hole in the silk? IDK After burning the screen with your image all you should need to wash out the screen is water. I would suggest to go ahead and spend the few bucks to get a professionally made screen before you start DIY'ng. A wood frame will cost you less than $14.00 with free shipping at Rhino Graphics Don't get me wrong I like to think I am the queen of DIY but as a newbie, to lessen your headaches, get the proper tools to do the job. Then as you get a understanding of what is involved, you will see where some things can be DIY. Also the proper chemicals to clean and degrease the screens would be a big help as well.

Good Luck and let us know how your venture into the t-shirt world goes!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I'd agree that somewhere between 'recommended' fabric, and the bleach you probably have your problem.

I've reclaimed more than a few proper monofilament polyester screens with bleach, however, and I can assure everyone it's not as evil as it's made out to be. It stinks, and it's hard on the screen, but it will not automatically ruin everything. The tough part is getting it to stick--I used to use newsprint on the stencil, and wet it down with a 50/50 water bleach solution. Do NOT use it full strength.
I'd also point out that there are 'walk away' haze removers that contain bleach. Go figure.

The above advice is great--there is likely no real substitute at the local fabric store for the plain weave monofilament polyester mesh that most printers need for photo stencil work, stretching it properly is not easy for the beginner, and a proper stencil remover will probably be worth the money, in time and headaches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.