T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white line along the top of my prints.
I am using RIPPro and PhotoPaint on a Vista machine.
I have tried to choke it down but have not had any change. I got frustrated and ran the choke numbers all up to 100 and still no change in the print.
Each time I send a new job I make sure that I delete the old jobs from RIPPro so I know that it isn't just reprinting the old job.
If I send the white layer as a "white ink layer" instead of sending it as a "white mask layer (hard)" I don't have the issue.
Do I just need to send the white as a "white ink layer" instead of a mask layer? That is contrary to how I was taught.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Hi Brian,

I have had this problem before. One thing to check is sometimes it will happen if you are printing the white layer at a different dpi then the color layer, so maybe try to set both layers at the same dpi. I had this issue once and what I did was uninstalled my rip pro and did a clean install and for some reason it then worked when I adjusted my choke. Those are the two things I would do :) Let me know if this helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried both ideas and no luck.
I guess I will try to call the support line tomorrow and see if they
have any ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Hmm that is wierd that it didnt work. how big of a line do you have?

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Brian, which boxes in rip pro did you change the choke numbers on?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I clicked on utilities and then printer & ink configuration and then into
the choke & feed adjustment tab. Then I was just playing with the numbers in
the choke amount boxes.
I did get ahold of the tech and he couldn't figure it out either so he had
me try to download the latest version of RIPPro. I installed that and the
choke is working but it is real buggy. RIPPro crashes now on about every
third or fourth print job.
Still working on it....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just to update this thread in case someone else has this problem down the road.
After installing the new rip pro my choke started working. I am having to choke the white way back on the top now. I think it is set at 60 and the sides at 10 each and it has been working at those settings.
I am still having trouble with photos though.
I have to choke them back to about 100 on the top and 30 on the sides. Anyone else find that photos
require more choke or is it just me?
Thanks for everyones help.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Wow those are high numbers for your choke. It sounds like maybe an alignment problem with your machine. Mine is only at 2 on the top and 2 on the left. I only had to set it the first time I installed and it has stayed good for over a year. Do you still have a warranty on your machine Brian? I would have them fix it if you do, that is a serious amount it is off.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am having to choke the white way back on
the top now. I think it is set at 60 and the sides at 10 each and it has been working at those settings.
I am still having trouble with photos though.
I have to choke them back to about 100 on the top and 30 on the sides. Anyone else find that photos
I think you're using choking to compensate for some other problem. Numbers like 100 and 60 will yield very poor results on fine lines and pictures. A mis-directed nozzle, for example, will cause the printer to "color outside the lines" so to speak. Also, having the head too far from the media tends to make the print, particularly the white, spread out a lot. Whatever the problem is, choking the bejeezus out of it isn't the answer ;) A choke value of 20 is considered very high. If you're having to choke over 25 or 30 that means "something else is broken"

[edit]Also, if you're using "hard" methods for underbasing (Color Layer Auto-Mask, White Mask (Hard), etc.) fuzziness around edges of the graphic will cause halos. Be sure that's not what you're trying to "choke out".

[edit again]I just re-read your first post. I'd be willing to bet there's some faint color pixels causing that white line (since the hard mask puts 100% under every pixel). Try White Mask Layer (Soft) instead. Better yet, make the background of the graphic solid black and print using "Color Layer Auto-Mask (Black Bkgnd)". That mode will respect all pixel levels without creating halos and you only have to click print once.

-- Fred

1 - 10 of 10 Posts