T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our HM-1 would print 1-3 jobs in a row, and then the head would freeze a couple inches from home over the capping station. Sometimes you could push the error/eject light and it would reset and start printing again. Other times it would go "home" and then we would get the carriage block error (error/eject and ink lights blinking).

Spent a couple hours on the phone with tech support covering the usual suspects. cleaned encoder, wheel, sensor, etc.

Support determined it was the ribbon cable to the head. So I replaced it tonight, and just fired the machine back up.

Now it only does head cleanings when you send a job to print, and then throws the carriage block error. I obviously screwed something up, but I don't even know where to start.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Our HM-1 would print 1-3 jobs in a row, and then the head would freeze a couple inches from home over the capping station. Sometimes you could push the error/eject light and it would reset and start printing again. Other times it would go "home" and then we would get the carriage block error (error/eject and ink lights blinking).

Spent a couple hours on the phone with tech support covering the usual suspects. cleaned encoder, wheel, sensor, etc.

Support determined it was the ribbon cable to the head. So I replaced it tonight, and just fired the machine back up.

Now it only does head cleanings when you send a job to print, and then throws the carriage block error. I obviously screwed something up, but I don't even know where to start.

Any help is much appreciated.
Was the power cord plugged in when you replaced the ribbon cables?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. Power was disconnected from the back of the machine.

Update: I broke the machine back apart and checked all ribbon cable connections. Just fired it back up and it's printing, but still doing the original symptom. Prints a few in a row, then the head stops a couple inches from "home". Sometimes pressing the error/eject light will get it to reset and print, and other times it will return home and then throw the head block error.

So this tells me tech support was wrong, and I just spent almost six hours throwing parts at the wrong problem.

Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Your CR motor is worn.

Lubricate your head carriage rail first with LIGHT machine oil and see how you get on with that
Good advise, but has nothing to do with what it occurring with your HM-1...

When my HM-1 does this,(as it does quite often) It's because it still thinks it's an Epson 2400. The original Epson prints do this when they are running out of ink in a cartridge. It's a warning to replace ink, it stops in front of whatever cartridge is the problem. Pushing button two moves the head back and away you go. Most times...Eventually you will get a red light lit on the Epson side of the machine.

Try changing your ink sticks one at a time and see if this goes away. It's usually the white ink ones that run out of uses. You will have to turn it off and back on each time to try it.

Hope this helps you,

dANNY8bALL

·
Registered
71 Posts
No matter how many times you press the Ink light the problem won't go away.

Your CR is heating up or is worn.

Look at the original problem. The carriage does not return but sometimes does and throws the error up?

A non lunricated head carriage will build up resistance and the CR has to work harder. Remember, DTG machines work a lot harder than the desktop version of the R2400.

I've seen this problem numerous times all solved with a new CR motor.

But first I would inspect the CR drive rail.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DangerMouse, my other HM-1 is also acting up. On power up the head moves all the way to the left and slams into the side of the machine and grinds the drive belt, or moves all the way to the right and slams into the right of the machine. We've replaced the encoder, cleaned the encoder sensor, and replaced the ribbon cables.

Any ideas? Thanks. Support is saying carriage needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
71 Posts
With you saying you've replaced the encoder strip, have you checked that it's sat correctly in the sensor at the rear of the carriage?

The carriage will make a grinding noise as it's trying to go further than it physically can as the sensor can't read the strip.

·
Registered
71 Posts
After re reading your post above, you might have the head cables the wrong way around.

Head cable A
Head cable B

Did you pair them up with the old ones and install the same way as removed?

I would check all CN connections on the main board.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes sir. Made sure cables were exactly labeled, and it still gave me the same error. Just replaced the carriage, and now the carriage doesn't move side to side and it immediately throws the head block error (error eject and ink lights blinking).

To Coldesi's credit, Bill has been working with me over the phone most of the day to get me through the carriage replacement.

Frustrating.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm sure your already far into replacing the carriage. But I believe another issue that would cause the carriage to slam to the left is the encoder strip being installed upside down. There should be some lettering on the home side that should be right side up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. Finally got the carriage replaced, and everything dialed back in, and we're up and working. Only had to delay one customer, who was cool. But will probably be in all night today to get back on schedule. The good news... I can replace a carriage now. Happy printing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.