T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than buying a cheap Chinese eBay or Amazon press (which is all my budget would allow for) I waited and searched and was able to get a used Hix Presto 15 clamshell press at a great price to use for tshirt heat transfers. Of course I was told it had no issues, except for possibly the springs being a bit work due to normal use. Being my first press I checked it out as best as I could before taking it. The upper platen stated in the upright position without issue so I think the springs are fine.
Well now that I've got it home, I'm noticing that even at the highest pressure setting (10) the pressure doesn't seem right. I tried putting some dollar bills in the press and clamped down, they are easily pulled out even when pressure is set to 10. In fact, I can see a visible gap between the upper platen and lower pad when it's clamped down. I can't figure any reason for this. Nothing's bent, tweaked, loose, or visibly worn.
Being new to presses I'm wondering what components can cause this problem?
I reached out to Hix support, haven't heard back yet.
I'm hoping I won't have to send it to Hix for repair as I think their website says they are in Kansas while I am in California.....shipping cost and just figuring out how to package and ship it would likely be a nightmare. So I'm hoping someone here can offer some input. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Hey did you ever figure out your problem? Thinking of getting this press tomorrow, used as well.
don't hold your breath on a response aPlusMan, that poster has not been back since nov. 2016

did you check that link above, they have all the parts you may need

$200 is a good deal, it looks to be in good shape
just get a digital kitchen timer and bob's your uncle!

i have attached the manual in case you get it and it does not come with one

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks into the T. I’m getting it for $200 CAD , seller says it works fine with no problems he just upgraded his equipment.

I’m gonna try out the pressure using a piece of paper but other than that what can I do to make sure I’m getting a functional unit? I don’t have a temp gun

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Thanks into the T. I’m getting it for $200 CAD , seller says it works fine with no problems he just upgraded his equipment.

I’m gonna try out the pressure using a piece of paper but other than that what can I do to make sure I’m getting a functional unit? I don’t have a temp gun
ask the seller to start cold and heat it up to 350f and wait for it to kick off
(the indicator light on the front middle of the bottom platen goes off and it should be audible as the current goes from 12 amps to 0)

if you have a kill-a-watt meter you can check the amperage/wattage

then ask if they can show its operation to you so you are comfortable with the adjustments
(you could even bring a blank tee with you and ask if they would not mind pressing something on it)

welcome to the club!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went through with it, met the guy, he pressed a shirt, I asked him questions about pressure etc, and I bought it.

Happy to say that I pressed my first shirt today:D
Thanks to all of you who helped me get here :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts