T-Shirt Forums banner

Hiring Employees Question

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  AddisonKorczynski 
#1 ·
I have gotten to the point where I am contemplating hiring someone, but would like to know from some of you others that have already went from just yourself to your first hire as to how you knew it was time to hire your first employee?

How did you cover that extra expense from the start until the money balanced out again?

#2 ·
For hiring you will need to report federal tax withholding (I think it is every 2 weeks or twice a month) and if your state has income tax you will need to do that too as well as SDI, Unemployment and Workers Comp. We use Quickbooks for this (we don't have employees any more but we still keep payroll on) which allowed us to electronically file and do an ACH payment for both. For Workers Comp, you will need to get with your insurance company to add that.

You will need to post all required regulations as it pertains to employment and minimum wages.

Now you can hire someone. It is best to have a standard application and an employment policy book that the employee signs. This will save you headaches when they quit or you fire them.

How did we know we needed employees? Well, we were working 16 to 20 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Good luck and ask if you have any other questions.

#3 ·
Thanks very much for the input. I am starting to feel overwhelmed and this year it took off like mad. Been in business for about 5 years now. I feel I am letting stuff slip because I am having to jump tracks too much all day long. I am also afraid to hire and this just be a fluke in business and then shortly have to let them go. We are a right to work state which means there doesn't have to be a reason to let someone go. I do however understand what you mean by some kind of guide lines so they aren't wondering or arguing with you if they have to be let go for a dumb action they perform or what have you. I have worked for too many corporate places that gave me a love hate relationship of handbooks. lol

#4 ·
Our handbook was a sheet of paper with our policies. Show up, do your work, get paid, go home.

The biggest PITA will be your state and federal filings. Quickbooks saved a lot of time. Just enter the time and rate and it calculates everything and you can file electronically. It will take a few weeks to set up though and it costs about $400 a year to have but well worth it IMO.

As far as slowing down, don't count on it. Work begets more work. We literally exploded with business and as we hired more people, we needed more people.

Plan on taking a good month to set this up, get your ducks in line and hire someone.

Good luck.

#5 ·
One thing we do is use our CPA's office. We use their Payroll department who keeps track of all the Federal and State regulations.

For us, the $50 we pay the payroll service is money well spent.
Of course, we have the workmans comp and liability insurance. And we have the proper workplace notices/posters obviously displayed in the work area.

Like I said, we are happy to use our payroll service.

#6 · (Edited)
I understand these fears because we humans believe that no one will do our job better than us. But, we should learn to trust people. And this is a kind of skill that we have to work at, to delegate tasks to other people. I remember when I hired my first employee. I was obsessed with having everything in control. But in time, I relaxed because my workers showed me that I could trust them. Now we are ten people on the team—each on his own side of creation, design, copywriting, video. Everyone is the best at what they do. And I have to make sure that they get a good salary and motivation and invest in them. Even if we work remotely, we know how to have fun and do pleasant activities. Ever since we discovered this slideswith.com platform, you have no idea how nice it is to create our activities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.