T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a picture of Jesus on a cross, and the picture is drawn very detailed in .jpeg and .pdf format on my computer. The face is very detailed, especially around the eyes. What type of equipment do I ned to use to get detail when the picture is transferred to the shirt? Screen printing? Heat transfer? What? The guy I had make my shirts, gave me poor quality. The shirt looks nothing like the computer design. I am new to shirt making. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Detailed imprint needed

A .jpeg is a compressed image designed for display over the Internet, then your monitor at 72 pixels per inch.

PDF format standardizes printer output so the output matches the vision of the maker. Your PDF image could be fabulous or just a version of your .jpeg with a printer "control wrapper" around it.

You need a 200-300 pixels per inch positive, and then someone with the screen making and printing skills to print a run of shirts.

If you only want a few you could also find a Direct To Garment printer that can print a shirt directly from your computer files in 5 minutes.

Fine lines don't transfer very well, and require another step.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I agree with Greaves, but want to add, that you can have highly detailed artwork screenprinted on clothing. Yes, you will need a skilled printer that does halftone work and can handle the detailed printing.
perhaps the printer you were using, only does basic spot printing.

Post the picture that you want printed.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The critical issue Jason, is the dpi and dimensions of the image you have. It is possible you have a high res JPEG, but not likely. And as Greaves mentioned, your PDF might be adequate for the job. But, even if the JPEG or PDF were at 300 dpi, but only 2 inches by 3 inches you still have a problem. You need the image to be at 300 dpi (200 dpi minimum) at the size you want to have it printed at to get the results you are looking for. DTG, Screen Printing and Sublimation can all provide the quality you desire if the art is adequate.

You could have a good graphics person upscale your art if needed to get it to a point where it will work for large format printing. There are ways to do it if a person knows how and get extremely good results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts