T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I am working on is a brand of high quality golf/polo shirts.

What brands of blank polo/golf shirts have you guys come across or liked and why? I am going for high quality, so don't factor in cost too much.

Also, I would be retagging the shirts. I've read on here that some places will detag and tag for you, and even make the tags. Do you suggest having a place detag and tag and provide my own tags, or should I have them make the tags too? Thoughts on this? Polo's are different than tees in that I would need an outfit specifically for tagging, and not printing.

I am attempting to mimic Lacoste in style. What Lacoste does is embroider the logo (alligator) onto a piece of white fabric and then sew that onto the shirt. People seem to like this style as the logo has a white embroidered border and also stands out more. It looks like an embroidered patch (which is basically is). Does anyone have suggestions on where to have my logos made? They would need to be high quality high thread count.

Making golf/polo shirts is pretty complicated. As far as I can tell so far, my process would be like this:

Buy blank high quality shirts.
Buy tags.
Send shirts and tag's to be detagged and retagged with my tags.
Buy embroidered patches.
Send shirts and patches to be sewn onto shirts.
Done.

Any thoughts on how to streamline this? It would be great if I could get a place to detag + retag (with either tags I sent them or tags they make for me) and also sew on the embroidered patches. That would make things go a lot faster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After doing more research on how Lacoste's shirts are made...

I'm looking for high quality jersey polos. Lacoste says there's are made out of 94% cotton and 6% elastane which gives it a bit of a stretch. They call it petit pique? Not sure about all this... can anyone clarify the specifics?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent a few more hours looking for the closest polo I could to the Lacoste Classic Polo.. and found the "District Threads™ - Stretch Pique Sport Shirt. DT300"

http://www.companycasuals.com/CompanyCasuals/b.jsp?prodimage=default&id=199627

It is pretty darn close. What makes it the closest is that it is 94% cotton and 6% spandex, which is almost exactly what the Lacoste it (Lacoste doesn't call it spandex though). It appears to be a lot smoother of a fabric than 100% cotton polos.

I'm going to order one and see how it is and how it compares, but has anyone used these shirts or have any experience with them? Also, the other questions in my first post still apply.

·
Registered
173 Posts
What are they charging for these shirts? We have used them for a local company and had them embroidered, They loved them. They have already called us for a Nov. order.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
PeterOliver said:
What makes it the closest is that it is 94% cotton and 6% spandex, which is almost exactly what the Lacoste it (Lacoste doesn't call it spandex though)
Spandex is the company name, Elastane is the generic fibre name; they're the same thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cookster said:
What are they charging for these shirts? We have used them for a local company and had them embroidered, They loved them. They have already called us for a Nov. order.
You can't order them directly from District Threads. I'm not sure what wholesaler to go with (suggestions?) but they can be bought for about 20$ on lots of sites by the piece.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
To order DistrictThreads, you need to setup an account with SanMar (www.sanmar.com)

As far as I can tell so far, my process would be like this:

Buy blank high quality shirts.
Buy tags.
Send shirts and tag's to be detagged and retagged with my tags.
Buy embroidered patches.
Send shirts and patches to be sewn onto shirts.
Done.

Any thoughts on how to streamline this?
I'm going to be in a similar situation soon, and my process would look like this:

Buy printed labels (Getting quotes from: clothinglabels4u, luckylabel, djslabels).

Place an order with my printer and have them order the polos (from districtthreads or wherever I find the best polo blank). They embroider the polo. They relabel the shirts.

Done.

You probably could find a few printers that have the capabilities to do this at screenprinters.net (or is there a similar site for embroidery?)

·
Registered
81 Posts
These shirts are $16-$20 per polo shirt. Thats really expensive. Continental makes a mens shirt, 100% cotton, for $6. Where can I find a womans like that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
To order DistrictThreads, you need to setup an account with SanMar (www.sanmar.com)

I'm going to be in a similar situation soon, and my process would look like this:

Buy printed labels (Getting quotes from: clothinglabels4u, luckylabel, djslabels).

Place an order with my printer and have them order the polos (from districtthreads or wherever I find the best polo blank). They embroider the polo. They relabel the shirts.

Done.

You probably could find a few printers that have the capabilities to do this at screenprinters.net (or is there a similar site for embroidery?)
The continental men's polo fits ridiculously small. I bought an XL, which is their biggest offering and it fit like a smaller large. It looks cool, but it sucks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love Lacoste. If you're going in that direction, would you just make polos with a logo?

I really like the direction you're going, but I'm curious as to how you're going to market your brand. I think it's just as important as the product itself. I think anybody who wants to take inspiration from Lacoste knows what they're doing, so I'd love to hear what you have, if anything yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
im going to do that with my line....add an embroidered polo to my line...hopefully with plos that fit like letrigre, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts