T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting up a t-shirt label in Sydney. Am having serious problems getting blank, good quality tees here. I just can't believe how difficult it is! Haven't ruled out starting from scratch and getting them made.. but obviously cost is an issue. If anybody knows anyone here in Aus, I'd love to hear from them.

Cheers,
Stacey

·
Registered
14 Posts
G'day Stacey, Im in the same boat as you. Im starting up a tshirt business with a mate of mine (we are both design/illustration students).

Im having the same sort of issues as you, its very hard to find good quality, reasonable priced shirts here. Im looking at american apparel at the moment, but i can't find them for below US$5.00

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi!!
Read your thread and hope this will help you both out:) Check this company: PromoStars, that's the main url. And this is their regional office in Kiev: PromoStars in Kiev. I have checked their prises something like 3 month ago (Kiev office) and they had a sale!!! Blank white t-shirts, 130 g/m for appr. 1.6$ I dont know are they still selling at that price but anyway just check it out. Good luck!:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi,
I don't know what help a T-shirt company based in Poland will help you peeps in Aussie but hey who knows! I just wonder why with your proximity to the Far East that there aren't any major importers of quality Tees. The large Surf companies and Brands like Mambo must import from China etc so why aren't there any blank importers? I've been out to Aussie a number of years back and came back with some great Tees Mambo Ken Done etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Seems like a window of opportunity exist for some clued up T-Shirt entrepreneur to establish a homegrown T-shirt Brand!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Tgraphics said:
Seems like a window of opportunity exist for some clued up T-Shirt entrepreneur to establish a homegrown T-shirt Brand!
I was thinking the same thing :)

Or at least partner with the major brands (FOTL, AmericanApparel, Hanes, Gildan, etc) and set themselves up as the primary wholesale distributor of their t-shirts.

They would probably need to be able to store container loads worth of goods to cover shipping expenses, but if I lived in Australia, I might actually consider taking up the opportunity :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happy_Cyclops said:
G'day Stacey, Im in the same boat as you. Im starting up a tshirt business with a mate of mine (we are both design/illustration students).

Im having the same sort of issues as you, its very hard to find good quality, reasonable priced shirts here. Im looking at american apparel at the moment, but i can't find them for below US$5.00

Hi Sammy! Thanks for your reply. It's so good to speak to someone who understands! I have contacted a couple of t-shirt manufacturers here so I'll let you know how I go and give you their contact details if they come through. I really have my heart set on selling an All Australian product... but it's looking very bleak. I have had to contact American Apparel also. The quality and range of colours, you just can't beat!

·
Registered
14 Posts
staceyt said:
Hi Sammy! Thanks for your reply. It's so good to speak to someone who understands! I have contacted a couple of t-shirt manufacturers here so I'll let you know how I go and give you their contact details if they come through. I really have my heart set on selling an All Australian product... but it's looking very bleak. I have had to contact American Apparel also. The quality and range of colours, you just can't beat!

yeah, the range and quality from American Apparel is great. So many great colours to choose from. I have a couple of there shirts and the fit great.

anyway keep me posted on how you go.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rodney said:
I was thinking the same thing :)

Or at least partner with the major brands (FOTL, AmericanApparel, Hanes, Gildan, etc) and set themselves up as the primary wholesale distributor of their t-shirts.

They would probably need to be able to store container loads worth of goods to cover shipping expenses, but if I lived in Australia, I might actually consider taking up the opportunity :)

This intregues me Rodney;)

How would one go about doing this, and get the sales required to make it profitable?

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
How would one go about doing this, and get the sales required to make it profitable?
With some market research and planning :)

Setup a business plan. Contact the brands you want to carry. See what the pricing would be. Check out shipping costs. Storage costs. Run the numbers.

Check out your potential customers. See how much they need your service. Get a gauge of pricing/demand. Advertise/market. Maybe get some preorders, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Stacey and Sammy,
I’m importing my blanks from the US because I couldn’t find anything for my purposes in Australia (like high quality coloured blanks for dye-sub). I never thought cotton blanks too would be difficult to find here!

While looking for my blanks I’ve got catalogues from a few places that offer cotton t-shirts in Australia. There is definitely a variety of factories (or importers) supplying promotional companies and active-wear markets – maybe some of their styles (when decorated) will look like nice fashion t’s?
Australian-made will be about $2-4 more expensive than made in China under licence for an AU company.
Have a look at places like:
http://www.qualitops.com.au/homepage.htm - I think they make garments to order.
http://www.auspirit.com/2006/index.htm
http://www.corporateuniforms.co.nz/defaultcu.asp?catname=T-shirts
http://www.winningspirit.biz/index.php?cPath=2&page=3&osCsid=ph3dmnuuq8tp9tckiipgoplre7
I don’t know if any of their available styles would be suitable for your purposes though…

Also, there are places like Apparelb2bcentral.com http://www.atfmag.com/atfportal/basefiles/welcome.asp?context=apparel - they have lists of apparel manufacturers, agents, etc – you might be able to find some useful contacts there (and some interesting articles on apparel industry as well). I think you will need to register first to get access to their directories.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks for all the info Tania, very interesting indeed.

at the moment im trying to source american apparel....i have a few of their tees, and they are a great cut, and have lasted ages + you cant beat the colour range they have. So they are the front runners at the moment.

im also deciding whether to print them myself, buying a small screenprinter....or get them sent out.

decisions, decisions. haha

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hi Sammy,

Just found a catalogue and a price list for American Apparel in AU - I picked it up during the last "Fashion Exposed" trade show.

The importer is New Zealand company BYM International Ltd.
tel (AU) 1800 460 004
tel (NZ) 64 9 968 4596
they also have a website http://www.poynterfootwear.com/ - AA is not mentioned anywhere there.

I would be curious to see US wholesale prices as they are quite high
for AU/NZ markets!

BTW, what type of designs do you do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
wow Tania, thats awesome. Cheers.

We both have different styles of designs, JW is an illustrator at heart and loves doing quirky characters etc. While im a design student who likes abstract, almost surreal images. We combine the 2 most of the time. Unfortunately we havent got anything on computer at the moment, its all hand drawn. To compare them to anything i would have to say have a look at Threadless.com. Our designs are very similar in quality to those on there.

Thats why i would like American Apparel shirts, they look great, fit great and get good results in regards to printing on them. We would also be looking at putting our own label onto the neck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi fellow Aussies :D

Just thought I'd pop in with a couple of leads for American Apparel T-shirts...

I too have been on the hunt for good quality Australian manufactured T-shirts, this time for infants and toddlers... and am throwing my hand in the air in frustration. After about 30 phonecalls and countless emails, looks like American Apparel is one of the best ways to go if you want to be guaranteed good quality and stock availability. Be warned though - American Apparel in Australia generally wholesales for approx. double what it does in the US so be prepared to pay for the quality ;)

I've got two leads for you:

1. ounce.com.au (melbourne based - they have not yet got back to me with pricing)
2. fullystoked.com (ACT based - nice folk with a commitment to sweatshop free manufacturing)

cheers,
rachael

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi Rachael, yeah they are the only 2 leads ive got aswell. Im trying to find somewhere cheaper however

maybe if we are all getting orders we could save alot by getting it all at once.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts