T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to t-shirts. I finally decided to start making some of the designs I keep playing with, and coming up with in my head, and hope this goes someplace! Hope to learn lots here. : )

Thanks, Tabz.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
That's good to hear Tabz, hope everything works out. Do you also have a day job?

Some people work on the designs and have others print them. There's many places to sell them, it takes time to build up your outlets (places and people to sell too).

Once you start selling your designs, many people will ask you if you do customer work. The customer work with turn into a full time business all by itself. It's a great problem to have.

Hope you do well, do you have good resouces? I know of some good books that really helped me get started. You can also find DVD's and free online videos to help you print your t-shirts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, yes. I do have a day job in the lovely land of retail! (Have to pay the bills somehow! :p).

This is a side project I'm working on, because I wanted to make some stuff for myself.

Funny you should mention custom jobs.. my friend's father owns a tree trimming service, and was looking for somebody to make him shirts. So I might get with him on that.

My cousin is also designing his own MMORPG so I was planning to talk to him to see if he's interested in partnering for merchandise when he gets up and running. : )

I have been looking at lots of things including start up costs, self-screen printing, transfers, custom labels, marketing, and people's success and frustrations.

Tabz

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
TABz,

Start with screen printing, and design and go from there. If you knock on doors M-F, or call and speak with the person responsible for advertising, management, purchasing etc, you'll get plenty of business.

Most companies already have their own artwork, they just need the t-shirts. Cheapest way to start is with a heat press and either use transfers you print or have a company like ACE transfers print them for you.

Go to a trade show to see whats on the floor, and meet vendors.

Whatever you can't do, outsource to contracting companies. You can still make a lot of money. Also, buy the equipment, when you've paid for it, it allows you to be competitive.

Don't be affraid to buy used equipment. Some people almost give it away, for different reasons. If you can afford to hold a second job until you can afford to pay for something do it.

Have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts