T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently decided to jump into the T-Shirt business. I got inspired by a trip to Venice Beach, a Mark Burnett book, and a Wall Street Journal article. By the way, do you think that article was overly optimistic? Anyway, I have taken several art classes at a community college and I've studied art on my own. I got A's in Drawing and Life Drawing, and I had a tough teacher. I've done drawing, acrylic painting, and oil painting. Lately I've learned a little about illustration, which is what I originally wanted to do. I was very into classical art, but now I'm looking forward to switching into pop art in the T-Shirt business.

Here is a web site with some of my old artwork: http://sashacohen3.netfirms.com/index.htm

I used to make figure skating web sites as a hobby. Here's one of them:
http://www.geocities.com/sasha_prima_ballerina/index.html
I used to use photoshop and adobe illustrator a lot, and I learned javascript.

So basically I can draw & paint and I know basic web site designing. I've noticed that a lot of t-shirts don't have any graphics, only text. Is this because a lot of people don't have artistic skills? I hope my artistic background will give me an edge. I'm also going to study comedy, because I've noticed that a lot of t-shirts seem to be popular for their humor. I did some brainstorming and I have a lot of ideas for t-shirts. I hope I can make several thousand $ a month at this within a year or two, but I could use even a few hundred a month extra money. I like all the raunchy humor I see in a lot of T-Shirts. I've always liked pop culture. I think I'm going to enjoy t-shirt designing if I can be successful in it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It's great to see that article is still bringing in new membersl :) Some of the people mentioned are members here, one of them the owner. I don't think it was overly optimistic.

Your paintings are great! You are very talented.

>I've noticed that a lot of t-shirts don't have any graphics, only text. Is this because >a lot of people don't have artistic skills.

In a way maybe, but a lot of t-shirts are like this because 1. the sell well, 2. they are very profitable.

>I hope my artistic background will give me an edge.

It's certainly a different market to "one liner" t-shirts. You'll want to do some research, there is a market for art t-shirts but it isn't the biggest. Combining the two may well be your niche.

>I hope I can make several thousand $ a month at this within a year or two.

That is certainly possible, you could earn that even quicker with the right marketing.

>I like all the raunchy humor I see in a lot of T-Shirts

It sells very well. Good luck Bougie and welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Very nice artwork. Not many good artists left. Your website design and artistic talents should definetly give you a jump into the trade. Now if you want to put them on t-shirts by screen printing yourself it will be a while to learn all of it but nothings impossible. You may also be a very good digitizer but not know it. If the embroidery market ever comes back you should look into it. Sinec you know Illustrator youre way ahead of the game.
Enjoy

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Hi Bougie, :welcome:

I don't think the Wall Street Journal article was overly optomistic...although I may have some bias :) I don't think it presented t-shirts as a "get rich quick scheme", actually just the opposite.

It showed people that had put countless hours of hard work in promoting and designing a website that they planned to make profitable in another way, and somewhere along the line, they found that t-shirts became more profitable than their original business plan. Not overnight, but as the result of years of hard work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts