T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm from Maine and 16, and just started thinking about t-shirt designing... I don't really have a lot of money right now, as I am unemployed. (haven't actually looked for a job but hey) I was wondering, if I wanted to design several shirts as a sort of "boutique" what would be the least expensive way to go about it? I was looking at screenprinting, and the online people didn't seem to be able to print anywhere other than center front of the shirts.
Anyway, eventually I might be able to swing a heat press, the swing away kind, but it would be a smaller 9x12 model. So please if you have any suggestions, feel free to voice them! Thanks!
:)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Take your design to a local screenprinter. see if they will offer you some advice about what you want to do. You may even find a local person with a heat press to knock out a few samples of what you want to do.They would charge you for their time and ink or transfer but it might help you get an idea of how your design looks on a tee and where you want it placed. If you have something worth selling then make a few connections to a few stores. Maybe get some small orders. You may even place the tees you make in a consignment clothing store to see if you can sell them. Then eventually you may have enough money to buy a larger press than the 9 x 12. I know you don't have a job yet but if you really, really put your energy into this you may get more from the learning about business aspects than you get from working at a McDonald's. Business is fun and if you follow the wisdom of others on this forum you could become a great entrepreneur with a great product. Lou

·
Registered
62 Posts
You could use a fulfillment service like Cafe Press, Spreadshirt, Printfection. IMHO, Spreadshirt is the best, especially if your designs are one to three color vectors cuz you can use their print plotting method and get great quality on a a wide variety of dark shirts. No other fulfillment service can do that. And no upfront cost. You can modify their online store template pretty easily and even have your own site/domain that ties to theirs. Welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, Thanks so much! I'll keep trying. Yeah, I think that this business would be a tad more fufilling that McDonalds. Thanks for all of the ideas and resources! They're all really helpful. I'll be sure to get started soon. Ha, I can't thank you enough. But really, it was very nice. I'm not sure how many stores nearby would let me put shirts on consignment... there aren't really a great deal nearby, but... maybe down in Portland... if I can get down there... hmm...
Well, thanks one last time for all the help! :)

[oh and... I'm a girl. I just like the name Arashi. ;) ]

·
Registered
62 Posts
In the designer on Spreadshirt, you can place the design anywhere you want it. And I've seen a lot of Spreadshirt products with non-center locations.

One other thing, in addition to being limited to 3 color vectors to use their plot printing, your design size is limited to 9x9 in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts