T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Chris. I live in TN (just moved here from NH) and I'm married and a mom to 2 little boys. I currently own a successful home-based specialty food business, but I'm thinking of starting a wall decal business on the side. I am a former graphic designer (design, prepress and web design) and although there is a lot out there for wall decals, I think I could come up with some really fun, unusual ones that would sell. My current food business is built around humor and fun cartoon-y packaging and it has really set my brand apart. I think I could do the same with my vinyl designs. Also, I worked for a sign company for a while when I was young and have some basic knowledge of how to layout, cut, weed and apply. I also did work for a screen printer cutting amberlith and rubylith separations. I bet some of you remember those days! lol
I'm really excited and am trying to figure out what type of cutter I should purchase. I want something at least 4 feet wide, and I'd like to get it for as little as possible of course. We're about to buy a house (closing in 2 weeks) and it needs a lot of updating, so I can't blow a bunch of money on this venture at first. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
A 54" cutter will set you back $3500-$5000 but a 24" one is going to be $1200-$1500

I'd get a Roland GX24 or a Graphtec CE5000-60, both have optical eyes if you ever print/cut. They also have plug ins for Illustrator & Corel (X3, X4... not X5 yet) so you can cut right from your drawing application.

I doubt that you need a 48" wide cutter.

You will also need a big (4x8) work table, transfer tapes, tape applicators (weeder/sheeter, big squeegee, Daige laminator, etc...) Vinyl storage technology, loads of picks/knives, etc...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info! I keep reading that the Roland GX24 is a great machine. I'm not sure 24" is enough though. I'd like to do some pretty large decals - like at least 4 feet across by however long. I'm going to look into the optical eyes thing. Does that help with registration? I love the plug-in idea. I use Illustrator on Mac right now, but I am willing to go PC if I have to. I'm fluent in both and I can even use Corel, although it's been years. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Chris, Jiarby is right,look for contour cutting capable cutter/plotter. Roland is a great machine but you can try cheaper brand to start with, they can also do fairly well.Goodluck to your new venture!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts