T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

I am a designer working in many areas of creativity (web, print, painting, music, lighting, set, etc.). I think this forum is amazing and I am excited to be here.

Why am I here? Last Friday I went to see Crystal Castles in a little bar here in Toronto. I was excited to go and I decided to make a T for the event. I came up with a design that featured a Polaroid camera. The design wrapped around from front to back and seamlessly continued over the shoulder. The response I got at the club was OFF THE HOOK! Everyone did a double take and some people couldn't resist the urge to stop dancing and come tell me my shirt was awesome and wanted to know where to get their own. It made my head tingle with great vibes and I got to thinking I need to make this available for sale.

I made the T shirt using t-shirt transfers (6 letter size). I printed them all out, trimmed them and tiled them together as I ironed them on. The art on the shirt was very rigid and after 1 wear I noticed that the print is beginning to crack and flake in some places.

I initially decided to return to _____ Depot and try the "soft stretch" transfers that I saw for sale next to the transfers I tried. Before I did, I researched the subject a little further I have come to realize there are a billion ways to make a T shirt. In my opinion as a consumer, transfers produce a sub par non desirable result (commercially speaking). I come to you all looking for advice on what other production methods might suit me better.

The following is the criteria I am look for in my production (in order of priority):

-Design contains a photographic image (screening is out?)
-Continuous printing over the shoulder and around the sides (printing over the shoulder seam/collar)
-No visible tiling
-Long lasting vibrancy and ink life (washable)
-Best balance between low run numbers and cost
-Printing on sleeve

I can't seem to be able to post in the gallery and I don't want to make any violating links to images on my own server so I can't show the design (for now).

Thanks in advance
john

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
For larger orders I'd say a DTG would probably be better. In the short-term transfers are the best option, there are many types of transfers with the best results coming from a heat press, as opposed to an iron on type transfer. We use a wide variety of transfers and haven't had problems with loss of color and or cracking in image.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts