1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall!

Hope you’re having an amazing summer :)

Just wanted to introduce myself here.

Hi - I’m Raj - Founder + CEO at CANVUS. We’re building the world’s first erasable Graphic T-Shirt. It’s the most customizable and most sustainable Graphic T-Shirt on the market (saves 12,000 L of Water + 3 kg of CO2e). Print any design in minutes. Save 12,000 L of Water + 3kg of CO2e each time you buy or sell a brand new design on the CANVUS marketplace. It’s that simple.

We’re looking for the best designers, artists, and creators for our T-Shirt design marketplace!

If that sounds good, feel free to sign up here:
CANVUS T - The Best Creators Wanted

When you sign-up you’ll get a referral link made just for you. Feel free to share it with other creators to move up the waitlist. Top 5 with the most points get a FREE CANVUS T :D (you just pay for shipping).

Also feel free to sign up here for our CANVUS T product launch:
https://canvus.xyz/

Connect with us:
@canvus | Linktree

We are building something special so please do let us know if you have any feedback :)

Thanks so much + sending good vibes!

- Raj

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey yall!

Hi - I’m Raj - Founder + CEO at CANVUS. We’re building the world’s first erasable Graphic T-Shirt. It’s the most customizable and most sustainable Graphic T-Shirt on the market (saves 12,000 L of Water + 3 kg of CO2e). Print any design in minutes. Save 12,000 L of Water + 3kg of CO2e each time you buy or sell a brand new design on the CANVUS marketplace. It’s that simple.

View attachment 273734

We’re looking for the best designers, artists, and creators for our T-Shirt design marketplace!

When you sign-up you’ll get a referral link made just for you. Feel free to share it with other creators to move up the waitlist. Top 5 with the most points get a FREE CANVUS T :D (you just pay for shipping).

Connect with us:
@canvus | Linktree

We are building something special so please do let us know if you have any feedback :)

- Raj
Cool gimmick, much unexplained. Just to start: fabric material, image size, number of colors, image resolution, ballpark cost, how are you getting to those environmental conservation numbers, technology... tell us more.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
"This message will self destruct in 5 seconds 12 hours."

Interesting. Seems like it reminds me of something, but can't quite place it.

I'd bet more people are likely to put their own art/saying (or just lay a leaf down) than to search through a collection for something they fancy.

Exposure time is nice and short. Erase time is a bit long, but you could accomplish the same thing just leaving it in the sun for a while ... or in the dark. Assuming that whatever causes the image to only last 12 hours amounts to the same thing as manual erasure?

Not sure how many folks on here are going to jump on this, as we are by and large the people who print T-shirts using various long-lasting methods. Still interesting.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool gimmick, much unexplained. Just to start: fabric material, image size, number of colors, image resolution, ballpark cost, how are you getting to those environmental conservation numbers, technology... tell us more.
Great questions!

Fabric material for garment:100% Cotton
Ink: Our own proprietary color changing ink chemistry
Number of colors: Currently only 1 color (Blue) but more planned in the future (Red, Green, Blue, etc)
Image Resolution: Any 300 DPI image can be printed + erased.
Cost: TBD but will range around $80 - $100 / package (including 1 T-Shirt + 1 PRINTER + 1 ERASER Modules at the moment) (we'll have discounts for our first 100 unit pre-order drop though)

The core tech is our color changing ink system and the hardware we make that allows for printing and erasing.

The environmental calculation is as follows:

A virgin-material based 100% Cotton T-Shirt takes around 2.6kg of Carbon Dioxide (CO2e) and 12,000 L of Water to make and we estimate there's around an additional 0.5kg in CO2e due to the materials we use for our ink (according to source 1 referenced below).

So each 100% Cotton Graphic T-Shirt (using virgin material) that you'd consume would increase your carbon and water footprint by 2.6kg of CO2e and 12,000 L of Water. When you buy more Graphic T-Shirts this would of course increase by the number of Graphic T-Shirts you'd buy. We're optimistic this will improve with recycled cotton T-Shirts though in the near future. Our thinking is that our CANVUS T will decrease your environmental footprint since now you're not buying more and more Graphic T-Shirts.

This is of course an estimate based on research done in the field and our own internal material estimates at the lab scale. This would go down with more units produced and with renewable energy electricity powering the manufacturing processes.

Let me know what you think or if we can clarify :)

1. The environmental price of fast fashion - Nature Reviews Earth & Environment

·
Registered
400 Posts
Great questions!

Fabric material for garment:100% Cotton
Ink: Our own proprietary color changing ink chemistry
Number of colors: Currently only 1 color (Blue) but more planned in the future (Red, Green, Blue, etc)
Image Resolution: Any 300 DPI image can be printed + erased.
Cost: TBD but will range around $80 - $100 / package (including 1 T-Shirt + 1 PRINTER + 1 ERASER Modules at the moment) (we'll have discounts for our first 100 unit pre-order drop though)

The core tech is our color changing ink system and the hardware we make that allows for printing and erasing.

The environmental calculation is as follows:

A virgin-material based 100% Cotton T-Shirt takes around 2.6kg of Carbon Dioxide (CO2e) and 12,000 L of Water to make and we estimate there's around an additional 0.5kg in CO2e due to the materials we use for our ink (according to source 1 referenced below).

So each 100% Cotton Graphic T-Shirt (using virgin material) that you'd consume would increase your carbon and water footprint by 2.6kg of CO2e and 12,000 L of Water. When you buy more Graphic T-Shirts this would of course increase by the number of Graphic T-Shirts you'd buy. We're optimistic this will improve with recycled cotton T-Shirts though in the near future. Our thinking is that our CANVUS T will decrease your environmental footprint since now you're not buying more and more Graphic T-Shirts.

This is of course an estimate based on research done in the field and our own internal material estimates at the lab scale. This would go down with more units produced and with renewable energy electricity powering the manufacturing processes.

Let me know what you think or if we can clarify :)

1. The environmental price of fast fashion - Nature Reviews Earth & Environment
I applaud your innovation and entrepreneurial spirit, so I'm reluctant to get too argumentative nitpicking your sustainability calculations. But, realistically, no one is going to spend time and energy every night erasing, washing, and rewriting their tee to avoid having a dozen tees they no longer have any desire to quickly choose from in the morning. And that's assuming you can improve the art quality.

I do believe there is a novelty market and you can make money.

What's the washability/durability?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I applaud your innovation and entrepreneurial spirit, so I'm reluctant to get too argumentative nitpicking your sustainability calculations. But, realistically, no one is going to spend time and energy every night erasing, washing, and rewriting their tee to avoid having a dozen tees they no longer have any desire to quickly choose from in the morning. And that's assuming you can improve the art quality.

I do believe there is a novelty market and you can make money.

What's the washability/durability?
Really appreciate the kind words :)

And yes - the sustainability calculations are a bit early as we won't know if consumer behavior changes or not with this new tech so I definitely understand where you're coming from as well.

Washability / Durability is currently like a typical Graphic T-Shirt - currently up to 50 wash / dry cycles.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
We're scientists working on a new product / technology
What kind of scientists?

Interesting. Seems like it reminds me of something, but can't quite place it.
Maybe these?
Font Revolver Poster Newspaper Automotive exhaust
Motor vehicle Font Poster Publication Paper

You need to improve your marketing pitch, or at least make it look reasonable.
Cotton is actually a very good carbon capture and storage method.
The carbon part of CO2 is less than 30% by mass, so just 0.7kg of the 2.6kg CO2 emissions (that's per ton of fiber by the way).
One ton of cotton however contains around 400kg of carbon and it's all CO2 capture from the air.
Emitting 0.7kg to capture 400Kg is obviously a good thing.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
The good ol' days, when men were men and our pee glowed in the dark. Don't need no stinkn' bathroom nightlight!

Yeah, not sure. Something along the lines of Radium Etch A Sketch Silly Putty ... ? Something that holds a phantom image for a while. Hmmm, there was that writing board thing with a waxy surface and a clear sheet of plastic over the top. Writing on it with the string-attached stylus stuck that part of the plastic to the wax and made it appear dark. Lift up the plastic sheet to unstick it and clear the image. Yeah, we had rocks and sticks and stuff when I was a kid too ;-)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey yall!

View attachment 273734

Connect with us:
@canvus | Linktree

- Raj
Just saw you your post. More info please.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts