T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife are looking to start screen printing our own T-Shirts and stuff instead of depending on Zazzle, Cafepress, etc.

I did a Google search for starter kits, but some of them seem really overpriced, so I'm wondering if anyone wants to chime in where I could find a decent-for-the-price starter kit.

I'd like to keep it below $250-$300 if possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
That seems fair, we're wanting to find out if it's something we can handle right now.

Can you recommend a trusted site to look at?
It is awesome that you want to get started, I was in your shoes about a year ago. I have definetly come along way and have upgraded to a multi color multi station press.

Just be well advised that it is very addictive and can be expensive. Different Inks, Screens, Emulsions, Transparency's

The beauty of the investment is the only limitation is your imagination.

Have fun and good luck to you and your wife.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It depends on how handy you are with a saw and drill/screw gun. You can build a multi-color press (not a rotary) for about $50 with material to spare. The rest of your investment you can put into emulsion, screens, ink, reclaiming chemicals, squeegees, a heat gun (then save your money and buy real flash/curing equipment) etc...

This stuff will get you well on your way until you either decide screen printing sucks or it's THE thing for you and you're willing to make the next step in an investment.

PM me and I'll point you to the free plans and such.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It depends on how handy you are with a saw and drill/screw gun. You can build a multi-color press (not a rotary) for about $50 with material to spare. The rest of your investment you can put into emulsion, screens, ink, reclaiming chemicals, squeegees, a heat gun (then save your money and buy real flash/curing equipment) etc...

This stuff will get you well on your way until you either decide screen printing sucks or it's THE thing for you and you're willing to make the next step in an investment.

PM me and I'll point you to the free plans and such.
I'm fairly handy with a hammer and nails. :)

I'll send you a PM.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have one of their 4/1 silvers and I do use them quite a bit for supplies, they are local to me so I can usually get stuff next day or a 3 hr drive if I'm in a tight spot.
I started with a DIY press like mentioned above, they work but are a PITA compared to a real entry level press.
I can't wait to upgrade to a bigger professional press but it will be quite some time before I do so.
If you go the DIY route I have some plans as well if you would like them, have a few sets of screen clamps laying around to I'd part with.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Me and my wife are looking to start screen printing our own T-Shirts and stuff instead of depending on Zazzle, Cafepress, etc.

I did a Google search for starter kits, but some of them seem really overpriced, so I'm wondering if anyone wants to chime in where I could find a decent-for-the-price starter kit.

Thanks!

Something to keep in mind, the press is only one little part of the startup expense. If you really want to do this and make MONEY, you need a conveyor dryer, an exposure unit, a selection of ink colors, a printer and RIP to make positives, software to create the art, chemicals for making / reclaiming screens. There is no way possible to start a screen printing business for $ 300.00 Just a heads up to make sure you are looking aat the WHOLE picture. Good luck though.... it can be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
If you want to learn for 300 bucks, don't start with photographic emulsion--you can do knife cut films, or even cut out wax paper stencils. All you need is a one color press, a screen, a squeegee, some ink, and a lot of free time. You could keep it under $200 doing it like this.

When I was doing paper prints, they made you do multiple editions with paper, wax resist, or tusche and glue before you even got to touch the photographic emulsion--I think a lot of people would spend a lot less money realizing they hate printing if they started like that. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
As a beginner, and, after much research, I ended getting all my chemicals and other accessories from ScreenPrintingSupplies.com. They had the best overall prices, and excellent deal on chemicals kits, click here.

I didn't get their press, but they do have a new press: SPS PRINTSTAR PRINT STAR ONE. (Price is nice.)

I like their shipping prices, too.

Ryonet has a good ink package, click here. But, if you can, and if available, also help out your local screen print supplier.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I love screenprinting, however if I was starting from scratch and only had a few hundred to work with, I would get an OK heat press that will make you enough money to buy better screen equipment later on. Order plastisol transfers from a supplier and press the images. this way you can do regular transfers also. I wouldn't start screenprinting for a business without at least $900-$1200. Not that you can't, because with a lot of patience and practice you can. But you don't want to buy something then realize you have to put in more $$$ than you don't have. plastisol transfer places that can do all your custom artwork. You order and have them ready so when you get an order you can just press a shirt and keep the other transfers till needed. You can also order names and numbers for teams and make some loot pressing little league teams and stuff like that. Screenprinting numbers and names sucks even if you have a nice set up. It's way easier to just order the names and numbers, press them on the back and pass that bill to the customer.... Well I hope whatever you do you succeed. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

Thanks!
Why not work with a wholesale, or contract printer? For $300 you aren't going to get anything worth using. You need a lot of equipment and consumables to produce quality apparel.

Rather than produce poor quality shirts, work with a contract printer that will drop ship and you can take advantage of their equipment and expertise at a fraction of the price you are paying for cafe press or zazzle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would say for that money rayonet is only way to go but I been down that road and you can get a simple system but it costs money to be able to make it function correctly. The screen printing carousel is decent, and works fine. But when it comes to the other stuff such as cleaning and burning screens then it takes more money or lots of patience. I have a rayonet machine. Used it for a few jobs but really got discouraged. I still do simple stuff but I use a local contract printer for most stuff. His prices make it hard for me to even justify the headache and space needed to do it myself. Just wanted to pass that on to you. I still would love to do it but I personally have learned it takes lot of money and available space

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.