T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm from upstate New York and my wife and I spend a great deal of time in a place called Lake George. Over the last few months, I've created some designs that I'm going to release soon for some hats (that showcase the Lake George area) but I think I would also like to print some of these designs on t shirts as well. I've learn a great deal on how to use Illustrator over the last few months and I'm hoping to gain some knowledge and insight while on this site about what next steps I should be taking! I will definitely start searching posts and doing some research starting tonight! Thanks!!

Matt

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
welcome aboard matt

i did the same thing for quite a few years on a big tourist lake up here in canuckistan

my designs were my own as well and allowed me to optimize for my decoration method (95% htv and 5% jpss)
i started with inexpensive equipment and never left, it is all about the designs

let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Matt,

I'm new here too and am not too far from you... I'm in Cohoes!

I create all of my designs using Affinity Designer or Gimp ( alternatives to Illustrator ) and then import them into my vinyl cutting software or print directly on my sublimation printer or my ghost white laser heat transfer. I also started with some of the "cheaper" equipment, albeit a step up from the cheapest I think, having purchased my heat presses, vinyl cutter and white laser toner printer from them. I purchased my sublimation printer from Digital Technology Group, as I have a 44" large format printer that I purchased from them as well. It's scary but I run all of this equipment out of my apartment, which is now super crowded but until I generate enough steady income, I do not want to take on the overhead of a shop.

We do not have the tourists that you have in Lake George but similar to you, I'm doing area "pride" from my city and carrying through to the Capital District as well as the colleges in Troy. Additionally, I'm selling some of more generic designs via all of the online marketplaces.

Good luck to you and your wife!!

Justin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
welcome aboard matt

i did the same thing for quite a few years on a big tourist lake up here in canuckistan

my designs were my own as well and allowed me to optimize for my decoration method (95% htv and 5% jpss)
i started with inexpensive equipment and never left, it is all about the designs

let me know if you have any questions
Thank you! Once my site is ready I will shoot you over a link to get your thoughts on the designs I came up with! I've been shooting photography for over 20 years now and have used a lot of the images I've captured for some of the inspiration for the shirt ideas. For right now, I'm going handover my design to a local shop in the area to have them complete the printing!

I appreciate the post and welcome! Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Matt,

I'm new here too and am not too far from you... I'm in Cohoes!

I create all of my designs using Affinity Designer or Gimp ( alternatives to Illustrator ) and then import them into my vinyl cutting software or print directly on my sublimation printer or my ghost white laser heat transfer. I also started with some of the "cheaper" equipment, albeit a step up from the cheapest I think, having purchased my heat presses, vinyl cutter and white laser toner printer from them. I purchased my sublimation printer from Digital Technology Group, as I have a 44" large format printer that I purchased from them as well. It's scary but I run all of this equipment out of my apartment, which is now super crowded but until I generate enough steady income, I do not want to take on the overhead of a shop.

We do not have the tourists that you have in Lake George but similar to you, I'm doing area "pride" from my city and carrying through to the Capital District as well as the colleges in Troy. Additionally, I'm selling some of more generic designs via all of the online marketplaces.

Good luck to you and your wife!!

Justin
Hey Justin,

Thanks for the post! I actually grew up on the top of Columbia street near the old Starlight, so we're actually REALLY close - small world!

That's awesome that you've got all the equipment and you're making things happen on your own - both my wife and I hope to get there soon! I'm leaning more towards having someone print the designs for me (since I'm not a pro at all in this area), but think when things take off, I will be buying some equipment too!

Matt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Send me a Ted's fish fry. LOL It's like old home week. Grew up on Fonda Rd. Went to Shen and now I'm in NC. Miss that area this time of year. Good luck with your new venture!
Ted’s is the best!!! That’s crazy you grew up on Fonda, I had a few friends from HS that lived off of Fonda, but went to shaker. !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.