T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some expert advice. I have a fairly inexpensive heat press and after a couple of months and several orders, I am ready to upgrade to a better way of doing things. I have done mainly T shirts and hoodies up to this point, but I have a couple of customers asking for bling rhinestone designs and general apparel to sell to cheerleading teams. I think the bling shirts and glitter designs will sell very well to them. I have about five thousand to invest and this is what I am thinking that I will purchase:

Hotronics auto open 16x20 heat press
Roland GX-24 cutter
Corel Draw package

I have seen the press & cutter packaged for a little over 3 grand. This is hard earned money that I want to spend the right way and be set with my business for at least a couple of years. Any advice, different opinions, places to purchase? All of your help and expertise is appreciated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I need some expert advice. I have a fairly inexpensive heat press and after a couple of months and several orders, I am ready to upgrade to a better way of doing things. I have done mainly T shirts and hoodies up to this point, but I have a couple of customers asking for bling rhinestone designs and general apparel to sell to cheerleading teams. I think the bling shirts and glitter designs will sell very well to them. I have about five thousand to invest and this is what I am thinking that I will purchase:

Hotronics auto open 16x20 heat press
Roland GX-24 cutter
Corel Draw package

I have seen the press & cutter packaged for a little over 3 grand. This is hard earned money that I want to spend the right way and be set with my business for at least a couple of years. Any advice, different opinions, places to purchase? All of your help and expertise is appreciated.
First those potential sales, don't count them!! If you can get them to pre-order before you dish out the dough do so. I'm guilty as well as others who have went all out for a potential client, entity, market, etc. only to have it not pan out in the green initially.

Myself I'm a diehard Craigslist/Ebay scouring junkie and can say I got a STX20 and GX-24 both in mint condition for $1300 plus a Epson R1900 printer to boot. So actually I spent under a grand and haven't had one single issue. As most sellers are usually people who dabbled in the apparel decoration business and just want to recoup something from their investment. I've rarely ran across anyone selling any high-end gear that has abused it. But there are those exceptions and if it looks abused it probably was. Don't confuse abuse with neglect though!! Cuz you will run across those who let gear sit for years untouched and with some Simple Green and alcohol the jewel beneath the dust could be worth it. Also if you buy used don't hesitate to get the serial number and contact manufacturer to get a quick history on the machine. Most legit sellers won't mind you asking for the serial number.

And another dollar saving tip, look for "free" classes offered in your area for graphic design and see if they can assist you with purchasing Corel via student discount. It'll save you hundreds and get some you "free" training in the process.

But if you prefer to buy brand new do it locally so you can cut down on shipping and have local support at your disposal. Plus you can haggle and get some freebies.

That's it. YMMV.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.