T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a big job coming up for this image and I haven't messed around with an image like this with multiple Colors

How would you tackle this image from start to finish.... like software, layout, separation, whatever words of wisdom

· Registered
26 Posts
looks like you could do this with about 6 colors if you are on a light gray shirt.

I'd probably mock it up as a six color print with halftones to achieve the darker tones and see if the client would accept that. My six colors would be white, black, light blue, dark blue, orange, brown.

You could also do four color process on top of white, but I think this would be better as an (at least) six spot colors with halftones mixed in where necessary.

· Registered
245 Posts
If you have RIP software or a printer that understands postscript, you don't need to create a halftone pattern in Photoshop.

After the image is separated, outputting the separations to your RIP or Postscript-compatible printer is all you need to do; the RIP software will automatically generate the halftone pattern on each separation when it prints them.

I would definitely recommend using spot colors on a white base over four color process (CMYK) inks, because FCP inks aren't really intended to be printed on top of a layer of ink, but rather directly onto fabric. Unfortunately, this limits their use to white or ash garments.

On a run like this where the quantity is high, consistency is paramount, and spot inks are going to give you that a lot easier than FCP.

The image is however line art, and as such could be converted to vector format, if you wanted to go that route.

Either way, you're definitely not going to get away with any less than 6 colors and halftone patterns.

· Registered
3,503 Posts
Before you print it, I'd be REALLY sure that your customer can prove they have purchased licensing to print Wonder Woman. You don't want to get dragged to court. $$$
wonder woman and mrs. fantastic 4.

marvel and DC do not play when it comes to 'their' characters.

it's one thing doing 'some' shirts for a group of friends not for resale but what you are suggesting could shut your biz down, get your home taken away and go into bankruptcy.

an obvious violation of copyright law.

stay away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.