T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

I recently thought about getting in to the t-shirt business. I am wanting to know what is best for transferring designs on to white t-shirts. I am currently in the process of purchasing a epson 1400 and curious what inks to use. What is the difference between dye sublimation and pigment?Also what would you recommend and where to buy them from in the UK.

I know that for a good sublimation result the material has to be 100% polyester, is this the same case for pigment inks?

Thankyou for your time an d help.
Regards, David

· Premium Member
323 Posts
Hi David,

Though I don't have information for you regarding where to purchase heat transfers in the UK, I can try to help provide some information.

Dye sublimation and pigment ink involve very different processes. Pigment ink is a regular inkjet ink that may be included with your 1400 already. You can expect getting excellent color and durability using pigment ink and heat transfer paper. However, the image will lay ON TOP of the garment with a slight texture. Heat transfer papers (w/ pigment ink) can be used on just about any type of garment material and there are a wide variety of options depending on the color of your garments. The options of materials you can use with heat transfer paper/ink is a big reason why a lot of people use it for garment decoration.

Dye sublimation is a process that will only work with sublimation ink, sublimation paper and 100% white, polyester fabric or polyester-coated items. When you transfer your image onto the polyester garment, the heat of the heat press caused the pores of the polyester to open up. The sublimation ink turns into a has, embeds itself into the garment and, once cooled, the pores close up. This creates a nearly-permanent, vibrant image with no texture. You get excellent results, BUT this is only to be used with white (or very, very light-colored), 100% polyester garments.

Hope this helps!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if i was to be designing and printing t-shirts it would be best to use sublimation rather than pigment because it lasts longer and can with stand wear and tear? Also do you know of any good suppliers with good prices for sub material blanks

P.S The information you provided was an excellent description and helped me lots.

· Premium Member
323 Posts
It all really depends on what type of material you want to work with. If you're okay only using white, 100% polyester garments, then I would definitely suggest going with sublimation. Both sublimation and heat transfer have great durability - sublimation just looks and feels better than heat transfer paper.

But, don't get me wrong, heat transfer paper is a much higher quality than the old iron-ons that a lot of people were used to. You can get very soft transfers with the right heat transfer paper out there and have a much larger selection of materials to choose from when transferring.

As for sublimation blanks, I would suggest checking out the "Preferred Vendors" listing on the left side of this page. There are a lot of companies on this forum with a lot of different products, so you shouldn't have any problem finding what you need!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Again, I have another query if you dont mind helping. I think i am going ot be printing on to cotton tshirts using the soft stretch paper. I am curious to know if there is a spray you can buy that helps the tshirt keep the design longer from wearing ie treats the tshirt ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.