T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I can put together a decent shirt design in a school mascot or a business design styles, but what I'm trying to figure out is how to design a "fashion style" shirt. Something along the style lines of the attached pic.
I have some design elements and when I attempt to put something together it looks like crap thrown in together.

I've been looking at some of the others out and about but for the life of me I can't figure out how to bring it together to make it look good.

I'm also trying to figure out how to put together a tattoo style design also.

Any advise?

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think what you are asking is how do you put all the design elements together so that they make sense, and look good. If that's your question then unfortunately there no direct answer to your question. Everyone's vision for their type of art is different. The good news is that since you have done some logos, and mascots and such you are halfway there. A lot of the techniques used in logos and mascots are used in the fashion type designs just put together differently. I also agree with the previous post and suggest you look at the tutorials on advancedartist. They are great. Look at the brands of shirts that you like and try to figure out how a particular effect they use was done. Most of all practice. I wish there was an easy answer for you but thats all I got. I hope it helps

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I agree with Brent.
You know design, just have to shift your mind to a different styling.
Also I agree with study study study (and break it down to steps, dissect them to elements) shirt designs that you like, the look you like.
Practice practice and practice some more.
You definitely have to shift your brain to different stylings.
Keep at it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, that is more or less the process that I use to teach myself anything. I've been trying, but for some reason I seem to be having a problem wrapping my head around dissecting these styles.

I have done great studying other people work, figuring out how to design and construct things.

I used to built stained glass.
I designed and built custom work, and for a while I ran a school/store teaching students the technical aspects of building panels, lamps, windows and doors, but I always anguished over the artistic portions of any job. Just wasn't something that comes natural to me.
I paid an artist to come in and teach design classes for me.

I consider myself more of a craftsman than an artist.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts