T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched allover the internet to find an answer but I can't seem to find one.

I received a new press so I made a screen 160 mesh and exposed it. And on my second pass on the first print it printed "particles " through the emulsion into the background where it should be plain .
I assumed there was an issue with the coating of the screen so I re made the screen. Only to have the same conclusion only slightly better .
Lip Neck Sleeve T-shirt Pink

I should mention I'm using waterbased ink as I don't have any plastisol remover so it's going to be a messy job using the plastisol..
I'll attach some images to show what I mean the easiest way to describe it is like loads of little grains of ink getting printed like a sand texture .
Thanks

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Hold the screen up to the sun or a light and you should be able to see holes in the emulsion there where the ink is getting through. Use a putty knife or the like to smear a little emulsion over that area, let it dry, then expose it (or just set it out in the sun a while).

Could be your emulsion was too thin or had gaps in it there, or that your film had a little ink smeared on it there, or that the glass of your exposure unit/device has some crud on it there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hold the screen up to the sun or a light and you should be able to see holes in the emulsion there where the ink is getting through. Use a putty knife or the like to smear a little emulsion over that area, let it dry, then expose it (or just set it out in the sun a while).

Could be your emulsion was too thin or had gaps in it there, or that your film had a little ink smeared on it there, or that the glass of your exposure unit/device has some crud on it there.
Yeah I can see something similar to what you described.
I fear if I spread emulsion over the affected areas and I can't get it close enough to the letters ill still be having problems around. The letters.

Do you think I could get away with spreading emulsion
Or should I just re expose the screen from scratch?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Oh, I see ... there is some stray ink close to the letters. Yeah, forget trying to patch that up.

Are you using pallet adhesive to hold the shirt down while you print? If not, the shirt may be sticking to the screen when you lift it and getting smudged against the image area of the screen.

Might want to show us a photo of the screen too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I see ... there is some stray ink close to the letters. Yeah, forget trying to patch that up.

Are you using pallet adhesive to hold the shirt down while you print? If not, the shirt may be sticking to the screen when you lift it and getting smudged against the image area of the screen.

Might want to show us a photo of the screen too.
Cheers for your input . Yeah I think it's gonna be best to remake the screen . Going to try a thicker coat of emulsion as I hear its like a reservoir for the ink that way.

Will update to see how it goes when the new screen is exposed.

Will be a handy thread to have out there as I couldn't find any information on this particular issue on the web.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.