T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new to T-shirt printing and would like to know how to print simple text on a t-shirt. I tried using the Avery dark iron on transfers to print a grey text on a black t-shirt, but came to find that the paper you use to print on becomes ironed on the shirt as well. So I have this grey text with the rest of the white paper around it ironed on my shirt. I've thought that you may have to cut around the text, but there would be no way that would be possible with the fine text im using. So question is, what ways are there to print ONLY text onto a T-shirt?

Thx Alot

Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about printing the background black or close to the color of the shirt and cutting as close as you can to the text maybe? cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sorry, I dont know what you mean by pre-press? I simply want only the light grey text to appear on my black shirt with none of the white paper left behind. I thought of this iron on process as a temporary tattoo. Only the image comes off on the skin, and in this case I expected only the text to come off, but I get the rest of the paper as well?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
ok man !!!!:)

there are different types. The basic good ones are called plastisol Hot Split transfers.

Important - how many colors total is there in your designs ?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
no problem man !

with 1 color designs you have lots of options and it costs peanuts. Well for a 10x12 transfer sheet for example, hummm:( i think its about $ 1/ea. but most transfer makers have a 50 sheet minimum plus about $ 30 for the screen.

you can also make it in funky materials like in holographic etc... usually no minimums but you pay more and You Weed ! "Man". :)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
If you use dark tee shirts then you need opaque transfers. You need to remove the paper from the back of the transfer and the design is face up then you lay a sheet of parchment paper (came with transfers) over the top and press or iron.. You will need to cut out each letter if your not using screen print or plastisol transfers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya, that is exactly what I did with the avery product that I bought. And I didnt realize that I would have to cut out each individual letter until I was done ironing, and that would just take way too much time.

Lucy: would you mind giving me a direct link to what you would suggest for single color designs? Also are these transfers made for dark or light colored fabrics? Most of my T's will be dark fabric

Thx

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
You may want to try a different type transfer paper than avery paper. I think there are more professional type papers out there for dark transfers.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
You'd also get slightly better results if you used a heat press, rather than an iron. The other options being suggested would also need a heat press for best results.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
maulsl said:
Ya, that is exactly what I did with the avery product that I bought. And I didnt realize that I would have to cut out each individual letter until I was done ironing, and that would just take way too much time.

Lucy: would you mind giving me a direct link to what you would suggest for single color designs? Also are these transfers made for dark or light colored fabrics? Most of my T's will be dark fabric

Thx
good morning Maulsl...

yes, they print on all fabric colors ( black t-shirts etc. ).

As solmu mentioned, most transfer maker companies make them with inks where you will need a heat press machine.
However, there are a few transfer maker companies that make them where you CAN use a home hand iron, in other words the transfer application of these INKS work at a lower temperature...... sorta of trade secret i guess.

I don't think any of the transfer companies mentioned on this board make Plastisol Transfers that can be applied with a home iron... may be i'm wrong???

Truly Sorry.
Lucy

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are papers out there that transfer just the ink, but ink transfers often fade...I ran into the same problem - because most inkjet printers use a water base ink - if you want just text single color - vinyl is the answer. or you can print on vinyl and contour cut it - some vinyl cutters are cheap - i am finally investing in one just because i can do so much more with a cutter that just printing inkjet and transfer. Screen print is best too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts