T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some trouble with pre-printed transfer, in the past I have only used transfers I have printed on my epson c88 I have a Presto Press and use best blanks transfer paper my pressure setting is set to 8 and I press my transfers at 400 degrees for 25 seconds they always come out perfect. I have just started using some pre-printed transfers from Pro World Inc they saY to press at medium pressure 385 degrees for 8 to 10 seconds I tried that and on some the transfer was not sticking so I upped the temp and time a bit I have tried all diff temps and all diff pressing times and I am still having the same problems on some of the transfers it is pressing to the shirt but then peeling off the shirt after it is pressed my thought on this one is that it is being pressed to long or to hot correct I then had some that did not stick at all and then I had some that stuck in some places but not in all - as these transfers run 2.00 to 3.00 a piece I am going through them like crazy and getting worried because I am buring money and have orders to fill and help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated also I am using 100% cotton shirts because I think the 50/50 's look to much like undershirts - thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
All transfers press differently. Make sure you are following the manufactors guidelines. Try contacting pro world for help. Your machine may have a cold spot. There may be too much moisture in the shirt or transfer. Prepress you shirts to remove excess moisture. Sometimes old transfers have to much moisture in them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If its taking in places and not others, make sure that your pad okay. I had to buy a new pad for my press and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I am talked to someone at the company and they said to try pre pressing the shirt twice for 7 seconds each time since I am using a 6.1 ounce heavy cotton shirt - thanks again

·
Registered
282 Posts
yanaga said:
I had some that stuck in some places but not in all - as these transfers run 2.00 to 3.00 a piece I am going through them like crazy and getting worried because I am buring money and have orders to fill and help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated also I am using 100% cotton shirts because I think the 50/50 's look to much like undershirts - thanks
Have you asked Pro World to send out replacement transfers? Always worth asking. If same transfer...maybe was bad batch not cured properly. $2 to $3 is pretty steep to me but I've never purchased transfers or priced them. Maybe they can send extras/samples/bad runs so you can practice. That's what I requested of Dowling Graphics. They sent some botched stock transfers along with my custom Plastisol order. I'm new to all of this and didn't want to waste new t-shirts or transfers. Susan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Pro-World is a hub distributor for transfers, so they are not actually responsible for the print or print quality ... they just buy in bulk and resell.
They would probably respond favorable as far as a complaint goes I am sure, so I would definitely agree with Suzieh and contact them.
It sounds like you might be working with puff type transfers too ... they are tricky, and are tought to catch on thicker materials.
Make sure you follow the instructions you received with the transfers to a "Tee" and if there were no instructions, check on the Pro-World website.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I am starting to think it is my pad because tonight I put a few pieces of cardboard under the shirt because I did not think I was getting enough pressure even though my pressure setting was at its highest and it seemed to take care of my problem - what I would like to know is how thick the pad is supposed to be - thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Its really not about the thickness of a pad. Sometimes they get little are bubbles under them and the transfer isn't able to stick properly. I bought my press used and the pad was old. Once it was replaced proworlds transfers worked perfectly. I ruined toooo many transfers before I figured it out. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How long do you press your transfers from ProWorld and at what temp - thanks still trying to find the right setting

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pro World has MANY different types of transfers....Everything from PUFFS which I have pressed for only 5-6 seconds, all the way up to others which take 12-15 seconds...I have lots of vintage cold peel trasnfers which I have to press for 25-30 seconds.

It is EXTREMELY important to get the correct times/temps & pressures for the particular transfer type you are trying to apply.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Every transfer comes with it's own instructions for pressing ... they should be included as a sticker on the outside of the bag each design comes in (if you order by dozens).
If you are getting single transfers from Pro-World, and don't get instructions with each design, you can just log onto their website and find the design, and it will have application instructions for each design right on the website.
Make sure you pre-press and use some kind of material underneath for your puff transfer designs too ... we wasted a lot of transfers testing out ways to press, and found if you press puffs on stuff like shirts and thicker garments, it is OK, but if you press on thinner material, the puff won't adhere right.
We use old terrycloth bath towels under our stuff to add thickness ... it seems to help the transfer adhere to the materials better.
Also, if you press puffs, they will normally press for 6 to 8 seconds ... start at the lower end of the time range (6 seconds) first ... if you press too long, it kind of bakes the edges off the transfer to the paper, and it will rip on the outside borders of the design ... we had more issues with finding the right time than the right pressure or temperature.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What temp range do you use 385 like Pro World recommends - thanks for allyour help and suggestions

·
Registered
47 Posts
They can vary between 375 and 400 it usually seems ... like I said, each design has a specified temperatue and pressure setting, and if you check the design on the Pro World website, it will have applications instructions for every design they carry listed with the image of the design on the site.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They can vary between 375 and 400 it usually seems ... like I said, each design has a specified temperatue and pressure setting, and if you check the design on the Pro World website, it will have applications instructions for every design they carry listed with the image of the design on the site.
I have used the directions from pro world and tried everything to adjust and I have not gotten one transfer to come out right... As mentioned before, they are expensive to waste... plus the t-shirts... I finally cut up a tshirt and one of the bigger transfers to work on it and I still cant get it right! I need help!
I am using jerzees 50/50 heavyweight shirts and puff transfers. I have prewashed the shirts and I prepressed them. I followed the directions exactly and the best I have done was to get about 1/4 of the transfer to stick... I am running out of options. Is there someone I can hire to come over and help me? Is there anything else I can try?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have used the directions from pro world and tried everything to adjust and I have not gotten one transfer to come out right... As mentioned before, they are expensive to waste... plus the t-shirts... I finally cut up a tshirt and one of the bigger transfers to work on it and I still cant get it right! I need help!
I am using jerzees 50/50 heavyweight shirts and puff transfers. I have prewashed the shirts and I prepressed them. I followed the directions exactly and the best I have done was to get about 1/4 of the transfer to stick... I am running out of options. Is there someone I can hire to come over and help me? Is there anything else I can try?
When we first started with the puff designs, we had terrible troubles getting everything right as well.
I honestly have to say you are going to have to keep trying different settings.
Make sure you are using heavy pressure.
The biggest variable we had was pressing times which can vary from 6 to 8 seconds ... most of our stuff seemed to hit at 7 to 8 seconds here for tees.
ProWorld is a distribution hub for transfers, so you may want to actually get in touch with the actual manufacturer of the transfers too ... the maker will be somewhere on the bottom edge of the design on the transfer.
AirWaves seems to be a big supplier of puff print designs, and they are tough to hit, but with practice, you will get them.
We actually buy directly from the maker, which moves the prices for the transfers down from 2 to 3 bucks each to below $1.50 each as well ... so you may want to look at avoiding ProWorld since they simply buy the transfers and mark them up ... down the road, you will need to buy right from the makers like AirWaves, Dowling Graphics, ArtBrands, and WildSide directly ... it will save you lots of money.
You may want to actually contact the makers of the transfers to see what you may need to do to get them pressed right or for some pointers ... most will help you our with no problems, and it is best to go to the direct source of the designs ... the companies that print them will know the most.
I wish I could help you out with a visit, but I cant get away from our store right now ... we actually are only about 3 hours away from you here in Johnstown, PA.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
What color shirts are you using? How long are you pre-pressing? Are you hot peeling asap lower corner to upper corner? Is your pressure med. to lite? Can you post a pic of the transfer and a printing result?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sidney...are you peeling the PUFF transfer quickly and immediately after you raise the press? If you let it cool for even a couple seconds it usually will not work right.

John

·
Registered
39 Posts
When we first started with the puff designs, we had terrible troubles getting everything right as well.
I honestly have to say you are going to have to keep trying different settings.
Make sure you are using heavy pressure.
The biggest variable we had was pressing times which can vary from 6 to 8 seconds ... most of our stuff seemed to hit at 7 to 8 seconds here for tees.
ProWorld is a distribution hub for transfers, so you may want to actually get in touch with the actual manufacturer of the transfers too ... the maker will be somewhere on the bottom edge of the design on the transfer.
AirWaves seems to be a big supplier of puff print designs, and they are tough to hit, but with practice, you will get them.
We actually buy directly from the maker, which moves the prices for the transfers down from 2 to 3 bucks each to below $1.50 each as well ... so you may want to look at avoiding ProWorld since they simply buy the transfers and mark them up ... down the road, you will need to buy right from the makers like AirWaves, Dowling Graphics, ArtBrands, and WildSide directly ... it will save you lots of money.
You may want to actually contact the makers of the transfers to see what you may need to do to get them pressed right or for some pointers ... most will help you our with no problems, and it is best to go to the direct source of the designs ... the companies that print them will know the most.
I wish I could help you out with a visit, but I cant get away from our store right now ... we actually are only about 3 hours away from you here in Johnstown, PA.
Oh Eric, Thank you so much for the great info! I will look into that!

·
Registered
39 Posts
What color shirts are you using? How long are you pre-pressing? Are you hot peeling asap lower corner to upper corner? Is your pressure med. to lite? Can you post a pic of the transfer and a printing result?
I am at work right now, I will post pictures asap!
I tried white light weight shirts and black heavier weight shirts. I tried light, med, and heavy pressure. I prepressed 7 secs up to 20 secs. I heated them from 5 secs - 20 secs (which just burned the transfers).
My first try, exactly like the directions stated, got nothing at all. I pressed a little longer, and got a very faded design with some strings of the white part of the design coming off. I adjusted the pressure, and the heat and the times for 2 days... the more I tried, the worse it got, I finally gave up and came here!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts