T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, greatings and salutations all. The info on T-shirt Forums is enough to make up under grad and grad programs. So thank you to all from what I have learned so far.

I am a begginer, using Inkscape and GIMP mostly for dabbling with design, my main business is heat transfers.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to save text only .eps files in Inkscape for upload to Spreadshirt, Cafepress, etc.

I want the customer to be able to choose the color of the text and so far I have not been able to figure this out. I'm sure that there is an obvious answer, but I searched tutorials and this forum and not found the answer.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
when you open inkscape... you type some text and what color is it? can you highlight the text and then click on the color box and choose a new color... i use pshop and ill so im not sure how inkscape does it?

and yes... you can save a file as .eps with only text on it... or are you trying to convert the text to outlines(so it's a shape instead of editable text?

i just went to the inkscape site and it says it cant open .eps...

Gimp can open .eps with Ghost Script installed
GIMP is capable of opening EPS files if ghostscript is installed on your system.

[*] Download Ghostscript from following url for your operating systm.
(download Download gs851w32.exe if using ms-windows)
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1897&package_id=1845&release_id=321615

[*] Install it, go to /bin directory of where you installed ghostscript
[*] copy all exe files (may be 2 or 3 etc) and paste in gimp's roo directory (where gimp is installed)
[*] restart gimp and try opeing eps, ps, pdf etc files

I hope it helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you open inkscape... you type some text and what color is it? can you highlight the text and then click on the color box and choose a new color... i use pshop and ill so im not sure how inkscape does it?

and yes... you can save a file as .eps with only text on it... or are you trying to convert the text to outlines(so it's a shape instead of editable text?
Thanks for the response

Inkscape uses black as the default, but yes I can change the color. When I save the file as .eps, Spreadshirt does not pick it up. Basically it is saving as an image(raster) instead of true vector. This I can work out with some digging around.

My problem might be more about how the design for Spreadshirt should be uploaded to allow color choice of the text or is this even possible? Does the .eps file that is upload to SS become a non-customizable vector image?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I want is:

I upload "clever Tshirt saying" in black text with the font I want to use,
person visits my store chooses the "clever T-shirt saying" decides they want it in blue text.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That selection is for how many colors are in the image. For example, you could have three lines of text:
T-shirt
Forums
Rock

Each line could be a different color. Or the i, o, and u could be one color. T, F and R another, and the rest a third. However you set it in the eps.

After you have uploaded a file you then can select whether your colors stay, i.e., the customer cannot change them, or whether they can be changed, as you specify. The customer can change any of the three colors.

Thanks!
Jana

1 - 8 of 8 Posts