T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, it seems I always begin my questions with I'm a newby . . .

It has been my experience that when I design something with Illustrator/Photoshop, my text is too close together so when I burn my screens and put ink to it, it appears that my letters are running together. Is there a way to fix this in Illustrator? Sometimes it does it too with like printing an image of a baseball, the threads run together when screening. Please help :O)

Happy 4th of July everyone!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

· Registered
2,940 Posts
In the "Character" palette, underneath the size and leading (linespacing) are kerning and tracking selections where you can adjust letterspacing. Additionally, if you're adjusting letterspacing on one or two words, you can place the cursor between any two letters and manually adjust it to suit by holding down the alt(option) key and clicking the left or right arrow keys.

· Registered
83 Posts
You can also put a thin outline on your text in the background color so that it chokes the text a little. If it looks good on the screen, but runs together when you print, this would probably be a good option. If your screens are ending up with the text running together, but the film doesn't show it running together then you might not be exposing long enough. Your screens should look exactly like your films.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the "Character" palette, underneath the size and leading (linespacing) are kerning and tracking selections where you can adjust letterspacing. Additionally, if you're adjusting letterspacing on one or two words, you can place the cursor between any two letters and manually adjust it to suit by holding down the alt(option) key and clicking the left or right arrow keys.

I see that in Photoshop. I was designing in Illustrator. Do I need to be doing this is Photoshop instead? Thank you!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.