T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've been running a smaller sized manual screenprinting shop for about 2 years now, and im interested in expanding into plastisol heat transfers, need some advice about a few things. First, i'd like to try and prototype the process using as much of my current equipment as possible, i want to learn the process and see it for myself before i invest a ton of money in equipment. We already have a 4 station / 6 color manual press, flash cure unit and an electric conveyor belt dryer. All of our inks are standard wilflex plastisol, and our screens run from 110-330 mesh. This setup has suited me really well in standard screenprinting and even allowed me to grow the business a bit. With this sort of equipment, will i at least be able to create a few heat transfers (spray tack vs vacuum)?

I'd really like to start simple, buy a few different types of papers, try and find a heat press and just try and make a few shirts, just to see the results and make me understand the medium a bit more. I have a hard time finding solid info. Most of the printing i do is on dark garments so its very important to find a good solution for dark shirts. What paper manufacturers out there have the industry standard? I've seen stuff from a company called Union, and are Acetransfers any good? I see a hotsplit paper from them called Ultra Strip that sounds good for darks. Is there a more superior paper out there? Would i get MUCH better results if i were using a high opacity transfer ink or does standard plastisol work fine? Should a shop use different types of transfer paper for light shirts vs darks or is it better to just find one paper that does it all? Id like to hear opinions on the different papers, hotsplit vs cold peel vs hot peel. whats good to work with, whats closest to the feel of a standard printed shirt, etc. Totally not interested in puff, glitter, vinyl or any sort of special effect paper!

Seems like most people order their transfers from printers and then apply them so i havent found alot about actually printing the transfers, which is what im investigating here. Thanks in advance for advice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone? just looking for some advice on screenprinting transfers and what sort of strategy i should have in selecting paper for high opacity work on dark shirts? any help would be tremendous!

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
People view the forums at different times and see different messages. It may take a while for one of our Heat Press folk to see and respond to your message. Please try to be patient :)

There are a few past posts about heat press on dark garments and which papers are considered quality supplies if you go back a few threads/pages or use the search.

:welcome:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just joined and am new...as in still researching what to buy.
Many here seem to like TLM Supply House (http://personalizedsupplies.com/)
and guess what...they offer a sample pack of papers. Go over there and see what it includes.

Also, find local heat press sellers and see if you can go over and press test shirts.
I learned this today on the telephone talking to a local rep for HIX and INSTAPRESS.
On top of that, he just sold a $20,000 Brother Garment Printer and that proud owner is willing to do single shirts...so I'm going to call her. Apparently, she used to go into the show room all the time to test transfer papers, shirts, presses, etc.

Susan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone, sorry if i seem a bit anxious. For some reason this industry doesn't have alot of consistant, reliable internet info presence and its driving me nuts trying to find info!

I went and used the search function on this forum to try and find older posts to answer my questions, and honestly, i came up empty. There seems to be TONS of information regarding DIGITAL transfers (papers, printers, application techniques, etc) but i'm very specifically looking for information about PLASTISOL transfer printing. I have zero interest in digital transfers - i currently have a screenprinting shop and would like to begin printing transfers myself - therefore i also have zero interest in preprint suppliers like Silvermountain - my company will be doing all of our own printing and heat transfer applications.

i found plenty of information about dark tshirt transfers and opaque transfers and all that - but i want to know about hotsplit and coldpeel BLANK heat transfer papers. One of the moderators suggested acetransfer company, it was the sole reference to a screened transfer paper manufacturer on here. Even though it seems like most people here are in the digital heat transfer biz, is there anyone with a knowledge of plastisol transfers that can answer my questions?

Again, specifically: what are good PLASTISOL heat transfer papers, and can i print on them with standard plastisol or do you get superior quality by printing with plastisol transfer inks?

THANKS SO MUCH!!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there is no-one on these forums with the information you seek. There are a few experienced screenprinters who may know, but I don't think there's much crossover between the screenprinters and the heat transferers here (hey, I may be wrong, but that's my impression).

A lot of your questions are answered in this article. Unfortunately it'll probably take a lot of trial and error to work out the correct process, but that should get you started.

·
Registered
950 Posts
rustwerx said:
.....Even though it seems like most people here are in the digital heat transfer biz, is there anyone with a knowledge of plastisol transfers that can answer my questions?

Again, specifically: what are good PLASTISOL heat transfer papers, and can i print on them with standard plastisol or do you get superior quality by printing with plastisol transfer inks?

THANKS SO MUCH!!
Hi rustwerx,

There is a great article about printing plastisol transfers in a new magazine called HotGraphics. It showed up in my mailbox today. It covers a lot of the stuff that was in the link that solmu gave above, but it's just another thing you could look at.

See post
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=1927

1 - 7 of 7 Posts