T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to print 500 royal blue acrylic 6 panel hats. I am using the foam pad with the seam down it but I try to tuck the hat in the back and its kind of wrinkly at the top.

Some of the prints smear, and most of the time the ink don't even come through. I am thinking its a off contact issue. How much off contact do I need and how do I set the off contact for hats? I am using 156 mesh 20x24 screen and the image is burned up torward the top of screen.

· Registered
3,095 Posts
Hat Champ requires some practice but once you get the hang of it it works great. You'll learn that you can tuck the top of the hat under with your left hand, hold it tight while you lower the lid, and pull the lid gently toward you until the magnet holds it down. For stiff hats I heat it with the flash cure before I print. The heat relaxes the backing and helps the hat to lay flat.

I don't try to print 6 panels, only 5 panels...but I've read that many people get good results with 6 panels...I just can't imagine printing over a seam and getting consistent prints. Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days.....

· Registered
3,095 Posts
I give it about the same amount of off contact as printing shirts. Maybe just a tiny bit more. As long as the screen lifts off the hat by itself the off contact is fine. I also use a small amount of reducer and give the hat a smooth, rather gentle print stroke.

· Registered
2,013 Posts
Yup, it's about using the right size pad and loading the cap as tight as possible so you get a print substrate that doesn't shift or lift under printing.

I also go 5 panel, just to make things easier on myself. I've had no issue doing underbases.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the easiest way to set off contact using the hat champ? I usualy use a corrugated plastic sheet when I print shirts, but I can't figure it out for the life of me for printing hats!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.