T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI there

I was wanting to know if anyone can help me. Iam after info on how i can design dye-sub jerseys and tees (pic attached) i have a few people that can do them but they will not help out as they say its some thing you work out for yourself. So i was wanting to know which program they use (photoshop or illustrator Cs4) and how they get the artwork inside of the outline so when it goes to print there is no over hang.

Thanks Auspaint

Attachments

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
What you have there is probably gonna be a cut and sew job. Print it on a wide format dye sub printer and then lay over a block of material press it on then sew it up. If you print on a desktop printer you'll have to piece together and could have issues if not aligned properly or designed to take that into effect.

Go to the dye sub forum on the main page. Scroll down. Many discussions on this type of work.

Good Luck
Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but i was not wanting to print this sort of stuff my self. But wanted to know how i can do the design of it so it can be sent out to have printed.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
i was wanting to know which program they use (photoshop or illustrator Cs4) and how they get the artwork inside of the outline so when it goes to print there is no over hang.

1. you can use any program to design, however the printer you are working with should either:
A. tell you what they need the design to be converted to (EPS, PSD, AI, Jpeg, etc) so that the printer's RIP program can read it and send it to print
or
B. accept your artwork as is, and convert it themselves so they can print with it.

2. to create a seamless print with sublimation on a l/s shirt. you need to print on cut pieces of all the "body parts" and have it sewn up after all pieces are printed. On your picture you show a design that has Front/Back/Sleeves as different artwork. So you would provide the printer with 3 pieces of artwork at the approximate measurements of each "body part."

3. You can either measure the pattern piece of Front/Back/Sleeves if it's available or measure the actual garment itself. If I didn't have the shirt sewing pattern available, then I would reccomend taking apart one of the blanks and get a better measurement of the pieces that way.

4. Artwork size: More than likely the printer will be printing on block pieces (square pieces of fabric that are slightly larger than the measurement of the "body part." so, for example if you measure the sleeve as 18" w x 30"L, I would create the artwork to print on a 20"w x 32"L block piece- keeping the main design/logo within 18"w x 30"l, this is so the design can be centered on the sleeve and to allow for shifting during heat press and to allow for fabric cutting within the pattern size.

Hope that helps. On a personal note, if a printer told me to "work it out myself" I would probably look for another printer, as there are many good ones available who would be happy to help you.

T

·
0 Posts
Im just going to throw in my two cents. I think that I am reading your question right...but it seems that the answers you are getting are not fully answering your question.

I read...you want to know how (in your design program) to place your artwork into your template...and have it fit the image.

Illustrator/Photoshop can easily do this. You need to learn masking. Just search youtube or the internet and masking tutorials. Its really easy to do...but would take me forever to explain it on this.

Hope I read your question correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1. create three high resolution pieces of artwork, for front, back and sleeves.
2. save flattened versions of artwork to use for your template/linesheet
3. place flattened artwork within body template - masking the areas of the artwork that overlaps

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Somewhat off subject, but your image seems to have the Charlie's Angels opening shot.
You don't want to get hit with copyright infringement. $$$$$

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I am after info on how i can design dye-sub jerseys and tees (pic attached) i have a few people that can do them but they will not help out as they say its some thing you work out for yourself.
Creating art for any type of garment is not a standard thing. You need to provide your art in a format that the printer you choose can accept and meets his/her requirements, but how you get there is up to you. You can work with traditional media like painting or drawing on paper or canvas, or work in the digital domain. Whatever way you're comfortable with and that you have talent with will work. You just then have to get the art into some digital format the printer can use.

So i was wanting to know which program they use (photoshop or illustrator Cs4) and how they get the artwork inside of the outline so when it goes to print there is no over hang.
I use Photoshop and Illustrator every day for creating and editing art. In my art that I use in my line, a lot of the time I use both raster (Photoshop) and vector (Illustrator) tools on the image before it is complete and ready to print.

Corel also make a very good graphics suite of software that can accomplish very much the same things.

And as mentioned, if the printer provides templates for the garment pieces, you turn that into a clipping mask in the graphics program so you can work on the layout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts