T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done tons of light colored stuff, but have very little experience with dark shirts....Can I get some hints on the best paper and any tricks......Any advice would be appreciated.....

·
Registered
591 Posts
In MY opinion the best media is Paropy paper...it's kinda pricey and doesn't sell in samples. I"m sure you'll get a a lot of different media recommendations. Also a vinyl cutter with contour option will help you cut out your image.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have done tons of light colored stuff, but have very little experience with dark shirts....Can I get some hints on the best paper and any tricks......Any advice would be appreciated.....
There are many opaque papers out there, but all seem to have dye migration issues with dark colored polyesters.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I need a cutter with an optical eye or make the graphic so I can easily cut it with scissors? Obtaining a cutter is in the plans, but dont have one yet....BUT....Sounds like I am in for a fight anyway....

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
So, I need a cutter with an optical eye or make the graphic so I can easily cut it with scissors? Obtaining a cutter is in the plans, but dont have one yet....BUT....Sounds like I am in for a fight anyway....
Yes, you would need a cutter with an optic eye to contour cut the paper. That is really the best way to go for cutting this paper. It is also important to point out that opaque paper is not actually paper. It is a print receptive film on a carrier.

Opaque paper is a good way to go, I just wanted to caution you about applying it to dark colored polyester based fabrics.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imageclip paper would eliminate the cutter from the equation for dark colored shirts. However, I think it's a little more difficult to use and depending on your printer, may produce different and sometimes unpredictable results. Gradients especially the ones that go all the way to white, are very difficult to produce. Oh and you cannot print white unless you use their "koncert" one, however the koncert one can only print white and gives the same result as using white vinyl. But I believe vinyl washes better and there are normally dye migration blocking vinyl (not available for imageclip).

If you want consistency, I would go with the opaque transfer papers out there. However you will have to get a cutter. I recommend the Roland GX24, very easy to learn and tons of tutorials out there for the machine. Also enables you to do vinyls for shirts and sign vinyls as well. Also can create stickers,etc.

Cutters are loads of fun!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Roland GX24 is the cutter I am going to go with....I have a good friend that does vinyl graphics, but his cutter does not have an optical eye....The customer I have been very patient and I am going to try screwing up a few shirts today to see if I can make something happen....He is more than happy with me putting his company name in a box for the shirts...It is for a lawn care business, so they will be getting them dirty....I will just cut them with the paper cutter I have for straight lines...Thank you all VERY MUCH for the comments and help....I am trying hard to make a go of this business and so far (crossing fingers and knocking on wood) my customer have been happy, I just want to keep it that way....

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The Roland GX24 is the cutter I am going to go with....I have a good friend that does vinyl graphics, but his cutter does not have an optical eye....The customer I have been very patient and I am going to try screwing up a few shirts today to see if I can make something happen....He is more than happy with me putting his company name in a box for the shirts...It is for a lawn care business, so they will be getting them dirty....I will just cut them with the paper cutter I have for straight lines...Thank you all VERY MUCH for the comments and help....I am trying hard to make a go of this business and so far (crossing fingers and knocking on wood) my customer have been happy, I just want to keep it that way....
Come here for your assistance with the GX-24 setup if you need any!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...this order is quickly becoming a thorn in my side.....Customers wife order wrong sizes, gave me wrong phone number and when they picked up the shirts, wanted to make payments.....:rolleyes:.....But now, I have a product problem.....Although the transfers looked really good and seemed to press well, After wearing the shirt for a day, the customer stops by and shows me the corners of the transfer are peeling on his shirt....Although I told him when I made them it was a new process for me and a trial run for me, I need to make this right.....(I sold them to him for cost).....Anything I can do to get them to adhere better? Used Image jet for darks on Safety Orange Gildan shirts....Is the Safety Orange where I went wrong? Or should I adjust my press temp. or times? HHHEEEELP!!!! hahahaha....

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Corners peeling up indicates an adhesion issue.

Are you heat applying near the collar or around seems? You may need a teflon pillow.

Assuming that you are following the proper heat application instructions for this paper, I would also check your heat press.

It could be that it is not producing even heat across the upper platen.

I would recommend purchasing a heat seal test kit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you very much for the reply....I will get out my trusty Infared heat gun and check it out tomorrow....Thanks again, if I see some sort of problem I will get the heat seal kit....Thanks....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts