T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My husband brought home a couple shirts last night from his boss and said they want a bid for some shirts.
** I was wondering if someone could send me a copy of something they might have drawn up for this type of situation.
Couple issues...
I didn't get an exact size order so hubby told me to guestimate around 50 of the LS and 50 SS AND on top of that the sizes needed are MED - 4X!! Sooo I can only find one shirt maker that is going that large (is is the one they had already for the shirts - port & comp.)
** Anyone know of another?? Or a couple places that sell the port & company so I can compare prices.
Also the shirts were screen printed - I do not offer screen printing but I do offer the Heat Transfers and soon Vinyl. It is for an outdoor landscaping company.
**Do you think Vinyl will work ok? and how much should I add to the cost compared to what I add for transfers? I will be getting my own vinyl cutter/plotter in a couple weeks so I can do them myself but I just don't know the cost comparison and how much vinyl I will need.

Sorry for all the questions!!
thx!

·
Registered
71 Posts
if you don't have screen print you can't compete with heat transfer.. heat transfer material is way more expensive than screen print. heat transfer material cost around $2 per square feet so to make a t shirt will cost you around $5 depending of the size of the logo.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
if you don't have screen print you can't compete with heat transfer.. heat transfer material is way more expensive than screen print. heat transfer material cost around $2 per square feet so to make a t shirt will cost you around $5 depending of the size of the logo.
What he said is quite true, Vinyl is also quite costly. You could get an estimate of how much Plastisol transfers would cost, this gives you the quality of screen printing with the versatility of heat transfers (apply as needed).

Wasatch offers some Big and Tall T's (Aeon I kno goes up to like 6x). Costwise I think they're a little bit cheaper than the port&co, but am unsure of the quality difference as I just recently ordered some port&co from Sanmar to trial them.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You don't have to be a screen printer...you can order plastisol transfers. For a large order, plastisol would likely be more cost effective anyhow. I use TransferExpress.com, and I know others on this board use Ace.

I don't know off hand of another 4X shirt besides Port & Co. I have used their shirts, and I've been pleased with the way they wear, and hold their shape after washing.

As for bidding the job, since you don't know exact sizes, here's what I would do. I would say "$X.XX per shirt, screen printed in X location(s), for quantity 100. Price applies to size Small - X-Large. Add $X each for size 2X, $X each for size 3X, $X each for size 4X".

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
You can get gildan to 5x and jerzees to 4x. I add $1 for each x to the cost of the shirt. I think you can use vinyl or plastisol to compete. decide which medium your going to use and get your cost figured out and then add your profit in for final selling price. .... JB

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your help.
The logo is just a small front pocket and one has two rows of words on the back.

From the last order I got, I think that they are wanting a smaller quantity. Hubby spoke to them yesterday and let them know about the need for at least a guestamite so hopefully I will hear more soon.

I tried transfer express but there is the setup fee. So I was trying to take an alternate

Thanks for the other listings!! I will check with them soon and see if they have what I need.
I also found out thst they really dont need that large of shirts - Someone miss ordered! - lol
Thanks again!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The logo is just a small front pocket and one has two rows of words on the back.

From the last order I got, I think that they are wanting a smaller quantity. Hubby spoke to them yesterday and let them know about the need for at least a guestamite so hopefully I will hear more soon.

I tried transfer express but there is the setup fee. So I was trying to take an alternate

Thanks for the other listings!! I will check with them soon and see if they have what I need.
I also found out thst they really dont need that large of shirts - Someone miss ordered! - lol
Thanks again!
just outsource the job, and mark it up from a wholesale cost.
win win. they are going to pay any way...just get someone to doit at a wholesale rate and charge the Boss retail.

you get the job done and they get teh shirts..done deal no stress!

·
Registered
71 Posts
if it is a small order heat transfer is good. For less that 24 t shirt i use heat transfer with a small logo in front and a logo in the back. i usually charge like $12 for my wholesale customer and $20 for retail customer... just make couple of dollar per shirt.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Thanks again!
For small quantity order, you should be good with vinyl, but before you decide to do it yourself in vinyl, you may want to analyze the details on the logo first, if there's small details on the logo you know that it will not be good to do vinyl on it, the words at the back of shirt you should be fine. If the logo is plain and not much detail, I would do it myself as this will add up on your experience. If the logo has too many details that will not be good to do vinyl, I would then go back to my drawing board and think about outsourcing it to screen printer or evaluate again that cost of doing the transfer including the setup fee and see if you can still make profit doing it. Pricing (if you will do it yourself using vinyl), I would start by getting all the cost of materials (shirt and vinyl), shipping, a bit of percentage for your cutter, cutter blade, heat press and the most important is the cost of your labor, how long will you do it and how much you would pay yourself an hour by doing the job (remember, there's no such thing as free lunch here :D) unless you want to work for free :). Once you get your cost, you can then start adding your margin, you can start with 50% and up. Goodluck.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Thanks again!
I'm not sure what set-up fee you're seeing on the Transfer Express site. I've ordered both Easy Prints (stock designs, and lettering), and Easy Prints Plus (your own art-work), and have never paid any set-up fees.

If you haven't called them, it would be worth a call. They are very helpful -- they will help you figure out if you need Easy Prints or Plus...which ink is the best to use for the job, gang printing, etc. If you don't have a login for the site, they will set you up -- that way you can go on and look at pricing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Vinyl (spectra 5yd rolls) is $1.86 a sq foot. Laser transfer on lights (image clip) is .97 cents a sq foot. uh, plus freight costs of course.
add the price of the tee, triple it and add your mark-up and bingo, you've got your price.

white tees run $1.50 all day long - colors, add approx .90 cents at these rates costs would be from
$2.47-$3.36 each for white tees, adjust for colors.
100 tees at a $5.00 markup (adjust for weeding vinyl of course) is $500 bucks. You can knock them out in a day at a good competitive price for 100 tees, screened or not.

Your sales pitch would lean them twords a light colored tee, cooler in the summer heat, happier employees are more productive employees then use your cheaper transfer papers for lights and your good to go.
your upsell would be foils and vinyl enhancements at a much better markup.
for instance I'll sell an imageclip print at X dollars and upsell a vinyl inhancement to the imageclip print for only $2.00 more per tee. this is a SMALL enhancement but adds "perceived" value. works about 70% of the time. and screeners haven't figured this part out yet so it's a value that only you can provide. This sets you apart from the rest of the pack and gets your client out of the mind set of price comparing/lowballing.

good luck

Bill

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure what set-up fee you're seeing on the Transfer Express site. I've ordered both Easy Prints (stock designs, and lettering), and Easy Prints Plus (your own art-work), and have never paid any set-up fees.

If you haven't called them, it would be worth a call. They are very helpful -- they will help you figure out if you need Easy Prints or Plus...which ink is the best to use for the job, gang printing, etc. If you don't have a login for the site, they will set you up -- that way you can go on and look at pricing.
Thanks - I think that I was thinking of my last quote that they had to edit artwork They were very nice on the phone I must say. :)
I would just like to be able to do what I can when I can - being a WAHM I do what I can to stay home and be with my kids (4,3 & 19mo)

I will check them out again :)
thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vinyl (spectra 5yd rolls) is $1.86 a sq foot. Laser transfer on lights (image clip) is .97 cents a sq foot. uh, plus freight costs of course.
add the price of the tee, triple it and add your mark-up and bingo, you've got your price.

white tees run $1.50 all day long - colors, add approx .90 cents at these rates costs would be from
$2.47-$3.36 each for white tees, adjust for colors.
100 tees at a $5.00 markup (adjust for weeding vinyl of course) is $500 bucks. You can knock them out in a day at a good competitive price for 100 tees, screened or not.

Your sales pitch would lean them twords a light colored tee, cooler in the summer heat, happier employees are more productive employees then use your cheaper transfer papers for lights and your good to go.
your upsell would be foils and vinyl enhancements at a much better markup.
for instance I'll sell an imageclip print at X dollars and upsell a vinyl inhancement to the imageclip print for only $2.00 more per tee. this is a SMALL enhancement but adds "perceived" value. works about 70% of the time. and screeners haven't figured this part out yet so it's a value that only you can provide. This sets you apart from the rest of the pack and gets your client out of the mind set of price comparing/lowballing.

good luck

Bill
Thanks a bunch Bill - All your advise is helpful for this newby. I have only done 2 shirt orders (het transfer) so far and LOVE IT! I really would love to do the vinyl along with vinyl for home/car.
So you offer the heat transfer cost along with the offer for vinyl? I usually do not charge a setup fee for transfers if there is minimal editing needed. I know that I would need to get Vector art done for the vinyl though. Until I am good at vector would you suggest I just use vector doctor or similar and then add a few $ for my time/effort?
And for shirts I just double the single price and then add $1.00 for the transfer if they were orders of a doz or more ech size since I make a bit more off the price break too.
I stil need to get these prices figured out. I have spent so many years doing custom orders - this is a new ball game.
Thanks again for your help! I'll check out the Broder Bros too!
-KimberlyAnn

·
Registered
212 Posts
The vinyl upsell is for t-shirt vinyl.
Many times I will press an image clip transfer and combine that with a t-shirt vinyl such as sparkle, or foil or ??
the contrasts between the two really set off the image on the garment.

Get yourself a copy of Corel Draw. I just had my brother in law pick up a LEGAL copy of X4 for $70 bux off eBay.
if you end up with a GX-24 as a cutter Corel plugs right into the cutting software. well X3 does, i'm not sure if they have a update for X4 or not.
the trace feature is pretty good for converting images to vector. most images will need some cleaning up but the learning curve is fun ;)

many times I sell decals of the same image I print on tees, another nice upsell.

Bill

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would order plastisol myself. I think you will find www.acetransco.com to be a great vendor to deal with. ... JB
Ok - So plastisol is like a vinyl type print like a heat transfer but without the edging and can go on light and darks?:confused:
They only have 1 color and 2 color job so that Is why I was thinking vinyl plus I could keep it in house :)
Getting so confused with the sooo many types of transfers I am trying to figure out sub transfers too since I have a mug press too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The vinyl upsell is for t-shirt vinyl.
Many times I will press an image clip transfer and combine that with a t-shirt vinyl such as sparkle, or foil or ??
the contrasts between the two really set off the image on the garment.

Get yourself a copy of Corel Draw. I just had my brother in law pick up a LEGAL copy of X4 for $70 bux off eBay.
if you end up with a GX-24 as a cutter Corel plugs right into the cutting software. well X3 does, i'm not sure if they have a update for X4 or not.
the trace feature is pretty good for converting images to vector. most images will need some cleaning up but the learning curve is fun ;)

many times I sell decals of the same image I print on tees, another nice upsell.

Bill
Sounds good - could you show me a sample or email me directly ka at litlbit wraps dot com, I would love to see how the combo is done. so you do the vinyl lay first then a transfer over it - like a dark transfer?? Or do you do details? I'm gona go look at your site
- Forgot to say I have AI for now

·
Registered
212 Posts
Actually, the carrier sheet for vinyl transfers is clear.
you lay your transfer first, press, remove backing... then press the vinyl. Since the carrier is clear registration is very easy.

If I cand help answer your confusion over plastisol...
plastisol is a silkscreened transfer. only difference is, is the screened image is applied to transfer paper instead of the garment itself. so no, plastisol is NOT vinyl.
you'll see costs per color with plastisol transfers because screening is a process by which each color os layed down separately one at a time. each color takes a single screen and a seperate work station. each color is layed over the other. lots of set-up but can produce hundreds of tees an hour. this is why the costs are high with short runs but really cheap with large orders due to the initial costs being spread over more garments.

does that help?

·
Registered
212 Posts
FMexpressions is also a great company for plastisol transfers. Not sure how they do it but I have ordered many transfers from them with killer fades and gradients with virtually no limit to colors.
the transfers are a bit heavier to the hand but...
oh, and you can gang as many as you can fit and as many different designs as you want on a single sheet.
great for spreading out the costs to several customers, especially if your working with smaller left chest logos ;)

they have a larger size sheet not advertised on their site. just ask them... I think it's something like 14X19 (21?) or something like that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts