T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a customer looking to have some prints done on some robot sleeves (for a robotic company). I found the material that was used, it's 1050 D Ballistic Nylon Heavy Fabric. I found it here http://www.ahh.biz/fabric/heavy/ballistic_nylon_fabric_1050_denier.php

Does anyone have any experience with this type of material, it seems similar to a duffel bag material. Would regular plastisol ink work?

I would receive these pre-assembled, with a 3.25" flat space on the back, before the velcro and zipper start to interfere. Has anyone made a custom platen before to accommodate odd size jobs? Or is there something I can use on top of my existing platen to so I can print on these?

Also, the smaller black strip with the metal hook, does anyone know how this one could have been printed? Look kinda small for screen printing. These would be given to me assembled as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Attachments

· Registered
8,374 Posts
Nylon you need to add a catalyst for adhesion. It also lowers the cure temp so that you don't melt the nylon. Almost all plastisol ink manufactures have a nylon catalyst for their inks.

· Registered
138 Posts
The nylon additive is generally recommended for smooth nylon substrates (think coach's jackets), but it certainly won't hurt to add it for this job. It will continue to cure over the course of a couple of days. As sben763 notes, you need to cure nylon at a lower temperature.

As to platens for printing: you might be able to use a sleeve platen for this, making sure to place your image on the screen in a spot where it will easily line up for printing. We also use platen material cut to size for some jobs, with the adhesive method of your choice (ours is double-sided platen tape) applied to both sides, to raise the area to be printed above the rest of the substrate (pocket prints) or to line up for placement (above pocket prints).

Best thing to do is get a couple of pieces from the client for testing.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for the information! I'll look into the nylon additive.

sister1: I didn't even think about my sleeve platen, that's a great idea to try. Even better is the material for the platen, I didn't know such a thing existed. Thank you so much!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.