T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have used Versatranz EPT transfers for a lot of jobs. We just had two different customers bring shirts in that after one wash, the transfer has come completely off the shirt. We have not changed anything, temp, pressure,time. We are using Gildan 100% whites and colors. Hotronix heat press. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Is it the transfer, the shirt, the press.....need help....I've got 5 different jobs setting here, EPT transfers. Now I'm worried they are all going to do this. I'm going home right now to wash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How old are the transfers? Sounds like they might be too old. If not, I am not sure. We use alot of Versatrans and EPT transfers, and have never had a problem.

leif

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have been using Versatranz for years- last year I had a lot of prints coming off- The big problem is sometimes you don't know it's a problem until it's a big problem! Like my case- it was a school and by the time we found out alot of other jobs went through. On this preticular job, the feel of them was never right to begin with- In the past when we would start having issues, we went down the list- Check Temp?- We have digital presses- didn't know it doesn't have a thermometer attached to the digital read out- at one time ours was off by 20 degrees! There is a gun style laser thermometer that works great, it will help check for hot spots on your press too. Also check that your pressure is even- Clamp it down on paper and try to pull the paper out, make sure you can't pull the paper out easily on any side. could cause the prints to come up and off after washings. If you have already done these things let Versatranz know about the problem- They keep telling me that hardly anyone has this issue- The other factor they told me was 100% cotton shrinks so much it causes the print to crack, which isn't their fault. Need to give customers special washing instructions. They will say that they wash test all the time to safe guard for this issue- I'm not sure about that- most the time our prints are good, But I'm not sure that is good enough. Good Luck, they don't handle issue very well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheryl....thanks for the response. I have digital presses as well...and have discovered the same thing about the temp reading and what it acutally is when measured with a gun. I never got a response from Versatranz other than they've never heard of that happening. We use Gildan 100% pre shrunk....have had a few issues with screens here and there with them. And, like you said it's a huge problem by the time you know it as most of our business is with schools. I will try your suggestions as well...they aren't going to be much help.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Honestly for the price I would consider Versatrans a premium product and I would expect premium performance and customer service.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ihave for the most part had good luck with Versatranz, just a few bumps in the road with one job cracking, and this past experience where the screens came completely off on several different transfers---which can be very costly by the time you know it's happening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It was Gildan 100% that we had the problem on too- they have heard of the problem before, from me! They said that the shirts are shrinking too much in the wash- print has no where to go = cracking peeling, prints coming off shirts. We switched to 50/50 for as much as possible, to take that out of the equation, to top it off this problem seemed to be with the white ept- and this job was black and yellow- all of them came off, they were able to recreate the problem, admitted they didn't know what happened and reprinted the sheets- replace the garments, no- which really is where your cost is, besides your reputation. I started using the forums so I could see if other businesses were frustrated as much as I am with the canned response- "we've never seen this before"- when in fact they have- The vendors need to know that we have a place to communicate and will.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine were EPT, 2 color screens as well....Have you had any problems since you switched to 50/50? Makes me angry that their response is we've never heard of this before. The customer service their is not very good....Carol usually is a big help to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shelley,
Yeah, Carol is great- they moved her out of customer service though :( The 50/50 has been better- but still having issues- the yellow/black prints were on 50/50 and they came off completely. Sometimes it think the couple here or there are customer wash issues- I recommend they wash on warm or cool now- not extreme temps- seems like the cold makes them crack faster- I wish I knew more about plastisol inks and how they work- I am learning the long hard way- I figure the more I know about the process the better- But Versatranz doesn't want to open themselves up to the possibility that the error is theirs. If anyone knows how the transfer is supposed to feel or can give any input on that part of it it would be great. I know the one I had alot of problems with was a 4 color, and when they were put on, everything was right- temp, pressure, the whole deal- the press was just calibrated- but the transfer feel wasn't right- you could feel the edges, and more after it cooled completely. And sure enough, they came off in the wash- so it seems like a stretch test with the fabric makes sense, I just don't know if it mean to press for longer or shorter, how much and over pressing is just as bad. I don't think with the cost of these prints , we should have to do this by trial and error.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly what ours did...I don't have an answer, a nd neither does Versatranz. They never gave me an answer....I don't use them for large jobs anymore. I've tested everything. I have two presses we use and don't have any issue with any other company than Versatranz. I did discover that after testing my presses with a thermometer, they were running about 10 degrees hot...you might check that as well. I don't know if that would cause this issue or not. If I have any other info, I'll let you know. Keep me posted if you find anything else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Exactly what ours did...I don't have an answer, a nd neither does Versatranz. They never gave me an answer....I don't use them for large jobs anymore. I've tested everything. I have two presses we use and don't have any issue with any other company than Versatranz. I did discover that after testing my presses with a thermometer, they were running about 10 degrees hot...you might check that as well. I don't know if that would cause this issue or not. If I have any other info, I'll let you know. Keep me posted if you find anything else.
I will. I did find that a second press, after pealing with a teflon on top of it helped. I'm three wash and dries in without issue. At least that will hopefully get me through this project.

I sent Cindy at Versatranz and email this morning with those picture attached, no answer yet. I think I'm going to give Howard my business now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We were thinking of trying Howard....have you ever used them? We use first edition and transfer express as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We were thinking of trying Howard....have you ever used them? We use first edition and transfer express as well.
I have not used them, but the samples I got from them a few months ago were great.

Downside to them is only 12.5 x 14.5 sheets. Most of our designs are small so ganging them is key. With Versatrans 13x19 we could make 10-15 shirts out of each sheet. That cheaper than screen printing with an auto. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you notice that they changed the settings for temp and time for ept transfers- I just spoke with them at length and they are still claiming it's not the transfer- they said to increase the temp to 360 and press at firm pressure for 7-9 seconds- they told me except for my issues anyone else who was having the problem is a new operator and the error is because of the press or operator- that the press was off in most of the cases they have seen. Did you check the temp of the actual platen? mine was off from the digital readout by about 15 degrees hotter than what the digital thermometer said- we called hot tronix and resolved the issue- now we constantly check with the gun what the actual temp is. But the thing is was I was led to believe that was the problem- now that we are still having the problem- they want me to increase the temp 10 degrees? was that the problem in the first place? I don't think so-

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same problem on the past 2 jobs I did, using Versatrans EPT transfers, and they told me that this hasn't been an issue - but after reading this string of messages, I can clearly see that it has been an issue - The ink color involved in both my jobs was kelly green - both jobs were done on Gildan 6.1oz 100% cotton - This is one of the most common shirts used in the industry and to blame it on the shirt is just wrong

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had the same problem on the past 2 jobs I did, using Versatrans EPT transfers, and they told me that this hasn't been an issue - but after reading this string of messages, I can clearly see that it has been an issue - The ink color involved in both my jobs was kelly green - both jobs were done on Gildan 6.1oz 100% cotton - This is one of the most common shirts used in the industry and to blame it on the shirt is just wrong
I'm not sure what it is then. I've had trouble with gray, black, fuschi, and white.

Versatranz called me yesterday to tell me this is the first they heard of it. However, they didn't try to blame it on my technic or equipment. I'm working with them to try and get some transfers re-done. Maybe I'll ask them to leave off the EPT on the re-done batch.

I'm telling customers to be sure and wash & dry them inside out. If possible to please hang dry.

<fingers crossed>

·
Registered
8 Posts
be a little careful with the versatranz- the print is not as opaque- sometimes it needs a second press as well- they will only reprint a job if they print them there and find there is a problem- so they must have found a problem, otherwise they would make you send the problem garments to them to figure it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you notice that they changed the settings for temp and time for ept transfers- I just spoke with them at length and they are still claiming it's not the transfer- they said to increase the temp to 360 and press at firm pressure for 7-9 seconds- they told me except for my issues anyone else who was having the problem is a new operator and the error is because of the press or operator- that the press was off in most of the cases they have seen. Did you check the temp of the actual platen? mine was off from the digital readout by about 15 degrees hotter than what the digital thermometer said- we called hot tronix and resolved the issue- now we constantly check with the gun what the actual temp is. But the thing is was I was led to believe that was the problem- now that we are still having the problem- they want me to increase the temp 10 degrees? was that the problem in the first place? I don't think so-
I have never posted on here but have been a lurker for a couple years. I felt I had to reply to this thread..I have used all the major transfer companies and have had problems with all of them.. I have been using versatrans for the last 4 years and have had only a few problems.as for the EPT coming off, I had the same problem last year and called them to complain, they asked if I had checked my temp on my press, it said 350, why check it? but I did go to the trouble to buy a gun to check the temp, but raised so much heck that they reran the transfers anyway, well the same day I got the (heat gun?) not sure what you call it, I also got back some shirts I had ordered from another transfer company, same problem, peeling off after 5 or 6 washes, checked my presses with the gun and found that one was 22 degrees too low(was really 328 instead of 350) and the other was 25 degrees too hot(was 375 instead of 350) both hot tronix 16X16 clam sheel presses. I called the company and they walked me through fixing them(1,st was a loose plug,pain to reach) 2nd needed to be re calibrated( another pain in butt) I asked how common this was, Hotronix said it happens once in awhile..I will buy that as I do around 3 to 4000 presses a year(not counting prepressing)one press is about 6 years old, the other 2 years old..I have that gun beside my presses all the time now and have had to readjust them a couple of times..since then I have not had any problems with Versatrans transfers, was it all my press, not sure, was my press off,YES...but I use Versatrans because of their customer service and turn around time..there is a lot of good things I could say about them as a company ..but will leave this reply as everyone should have a way of checking their presses daily...and I will use continue to use them for most of my transfers..another lady that I helped get into the business also had the same presses, hers were off by 23 degrees to low..now we both have the guns sitting by the presses and check them every day...do yourself a favor and buy a tool to make sure your press is really at the temp it says it is..and as with all transfer companies frim pressure means just that

1 - 20 of 33 Posts