T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help and advice on removing crap from my frames. Is there an all purpose cleaner for frames to clean off the gunk? I have some Newman frames that have like dried emulsion, ink, glue, tape, and stuff on it. Is there any strong chemicals to strip them off that anyone can recommend? Safe and effective would be great.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I used paint stripper on a batch of used Newmans I bought. Can't say how safe it is, but it was effective. I've also read where guys used carburetor cleaner.

Use rubber gloves, a scrub brush, and do it outside.

·
Registered
924 Posts
ELBOW GREASE. I keep my screens very clean. But i have bought used screens that took a lot of work to get them good and clean. Lacquer thinner helped but it wound up using a steel wool pad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys..I guess a little bit of elbow grease will have to do. I thought about buying some reclaimer and soak them, but i don't know how that will work. I just need something to break down all the stuff on it so i can scrub it off. i guess it'll take some work

·
Registered
675 Posts
If the "gunk" is on the frames (and not the mesh) then paint stripper & a power washer should knock it off. If this does not get it all off, then try some acetone to get off the remaining residue (use gloves). If it's in the mesh, then just change the mesh, as if it's got that much stuff in it, then the mesh is probably gone anyway, so mesh is fairly cheap, and best to start fresh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i only have the gunk on frames, and of course the mesh is replaceable i have plenty that i bought for 3.50 a yard (pretty awesome). I bought the newman roller frames used so they had mesh on them but i took it all off and now i'm starting to clean the frames for use. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I use Acetone and elbow grease to keep my Newman Rollers clean as new.

I also use a razor blade to carefully scrap off old emulsion without damaging the finish on the frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts