T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets suppose I want to draw pictures of hunters out hunting, or people driving ATV's through snow. I basically sketch out my idea....then place an ad a local art college asking if anyone is interested in redrawing my idea. I can basically tell people that not all drawings will be accepted but if I select a drawing I will pay them a fee something and possible 5%-10% of the first 25 shirts sold. '

It will be a contract that must be signed and I will urge the artist to discuss with whomever before they sign.

The reason why I would do it with students is because I may have a larger variety of ideas.

I would most likely copyright some designs which I drew first. If they come up with something different than what I drew first I won't copyright.

Do you see any complications arising?
What do you think of this idea?
They will get paid a flat fee and maybe a % of the first 25 shirts sold.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think it would be better first to figure out how much you can afford to pay and offer a flat rate instead of percentages.

Usually artist get percentages if the character on the shirt is a character that they have established and use on a regular basis.

It would also be good if you could find one artist that you like by looking over some of their artwork and just going over the design until you come to an agreement.

If you need to find custom artwork for a good price try www.deviantart.com Artists post their work in galleries so it's very easy to look over their work and make a choice.

Go to the forum , then down to Job Services. There you can find artist in need of money with a style that your interested in without having a bunch of artists put in a lot of effort just to be let down.

·
2,957 Posts
johnsmith said:
Lets suppose I want to draw pictures of hunters out hunting, or people driving ATV's through snow. I basically sketch out my idea....then place an ad a local art college asking if anyone is interested in redrawing my idea. I can basically tell people that not all drawings will be accepted but if I select a drawing I will pay them a fee something and possible 5%-10% of the first 25 shirts sold. '

It will be a contract that must be signed and I will urge the artist to discuss with whomever before they sign.

The reason why I would do it with students is because I may have a larger variety of ideas.

I would most likely copyright some designs which I drew first. If they come up with something different than what I drew first I won't copyright.

Do you see any complications arising?
What do you think of this idea?
They will get paid a flat fee and maybe a % of the first 25 shirts sold.
This has been discussed in pretty good detail before.
Check out these threads...;)

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=1320&page=1&pp=15&highlight=ARTIST

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=1424&highlight=ARTIST

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'd avoid royalties like the plague.

Firstly, it's very nonstandard in the industry. Secondly, it gives you one heck of a lot more paperwork....say you expand to 40 designs. That's 1000 percents to be documented and paid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts