T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do some screen printing and I just got a heat press. mostly for foils but I want to do small jobs with the heat transfers. I need a list of thing I need. and how to get them. think school supply list ok. I have the press, printer, photoshop and screen printing supplies. I have had a lot of people ask me if I could do like 4 or 5 shirts - 4 colors of course and it just isn't cost effective to do screen printing on these. oh and what is a protective sheet I need for heat press?

thanks people I really need the help

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gee I hadn't thought about rhinestones. that would be cool. can you get them pre-set or do you have to know how to set them up?

·
Registered
637 Posts
There are some great videos on youtube showing applying vinyls and rhinestones.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
For rhinestones you will need a swing away press not a clamshell. From what I understand the clamshell will smash the crystals.

For transfers on cotton you will need special paper like JPSS (jet pro soft-stretch). As a cover sheet you can use parchment paper, regular copy paper, or a teflon sheet. These protect the heat plate from getting ink or dye on it. With a screen print set up you can make transfers on that special paper for future use. You can also get a cutter/plotter and do vinyl transfers.

All of these supplies can be found at the vendors listed here on the left. You will have to make sure that you get the proper paper for your printer (inkjet or laser). With the JPSS paper you can do photo transfers not just 4 color jobs. Or you could get the plastisol transfers made (also from vendors on the left) for small orders.

·
Registered
583 Posts
For rhinestones you will need a swing away press not a clamshell. From what I understand the clamshell will smash the crystals.
On the contrary, clamshells will not smash the crystals, where did you hear that from? You're pressing the substrate on a rubber or foam-covered lower platen.:D

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Yeah, both kinds of presses can press the rhinestones, that will be okay.

But, there are a few ways to do heat press that are a few colors. Mostly depends on exactly what the customer is asking for (or expecting), and what you want to invest in (equipt) to offer your customers.

There's vinyl, which can handle transfers with a few colors bc they can be layered (to a point).

Dye sublimation, but that is best with 100% polyester.

Inkjet heat transfers.

Laser heat transfers.

The rhinestones.

There's also the heat transfers where a printer prints ink onto a vinyl product and cuts it out and then you can heat press that onto the garment. The printer is costly, but there are people who will print and cut for you and send them to you.

Do you have any idea which method you'd like to use? If you search any of the methods I've named, you'll find alot of information about each to figure out the pros and cons of each.

There are also a few threads that discuss this if you want to start there.

Once you figure out your direction, budget, quality point, and price points, then it'll be alot easier to help you figure out if you've got your equipment list in order, and which products work best.

here's the thread and best wishes:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t37985.html
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t48532.html

There is also DTG (direct to garment printing) ... and you could use the heat press to cure the ink. Search DTG for more on that, and also, on the home page, you will find an entire section on DTG.

To me, inkjet heat transfer is about the easiest and cheapest to really get into. It's not overly complicated, it is intricate to avoid messing up the transfer, and I personally find my combination of garment, ink and paper to offer great, great washablitity, and very lasting color, soft hand, great product, to me. Others don't share the opinion, but different blanks will yield different results, as will different inks, etc. I'm really happy with my combination.

My auto white balance is not set properly in this pic... but this shirt was made last year and it still looks just as good today with normal wear and washing. This is inkjet heat press.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
plastisol transfers are where you screen print a graphic on a treated paper and use it later with a heat press. you have to go through all the steps of screen printing but you don't have to make the shirt untill needed. I haven't done it but I have been told it looks just like a screen print

where do I get a teflon sheet and what do they look like?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
On the contrary, clamshells will not smash the crystals, where did you hear that from? You're pressing the substrate on a rubber or foam-covered lower platen.:D
Never mind, my bad. I had heard it for porcelain & ceramic plates and for some reason, in my twisted mind I thought I had read that about rhinestones. It's no fun getting old... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
plastisol transfers are where you screen print a graphic on a treated paper and use it later with a heat press. you have to go through all the steps of screen printing but you don't have to make the shirt untill needed. I haven't done it but I have been told it looks just like a screen print

I found them here: Heat Press Stain Protection, Cleaners, Production Tools, Accessories & More!

There is even a picture of what they look like. They just look like a sheet of material, but they're teflon. Also if you go to Sublimation Printing, Allover Print T-shirts, Supplies, Inks, Tips and Tricks, Transfer Paper, Heat Presses, Direct to Garment - Order Online!
and type teflon into the search box you will also find a lot of teflon products. I'm pretty sure that most of the vendors on the left offer teflon sheets.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

I bought my teflon sheet on ebay for $10 bucks.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Yeah - teflon sheets are something you can just google too, and suppliers will come up.

Oh Loretta, don't I know it! I hear ya, Sistah!! :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
love the list. just what I was looking for. where do you et the pads? I looked but didn't find anything. maybe a different search string?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Check the vendors on the left of this page. The ones that sell supplies for heat presses will have the pads. Sometimes they are called pillows, sometimes just pads.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
On Conde's website click on heat presses, from that menu select accessories, and from that screen they are all the way near the bottom (green & white).

At Bestblanks go to heat transfer machines section. The last box is for stain protection, cleaners etc. Click there and go down the page until you find them. They are called Lineless TK.

At Alpha Supply they are under heat presses, under accessories.

Just go to the different vendors websites and browse around. Most of them offer the pads, some don't.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Conde had a huge piece of mousepad for under $16. I think it was 54x36. You can cut alot of custom sizes and shapes from that...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts