T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot figure what I am doing wrong. So I have a customer who sent me a svg file. When I convert it to black, it will change to a soild black logo. The logo is a sunbrust with gradient. HELP!!! I've been trying to find some tutorials and have not had such luck. I will attach the picture of the design she sent me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it is sublimation I believe you need to make color changes in the original art file like .ai for Adobe Illustrator. To me that image looks like only the wrays of the sun are in a gradient but both the center and the wrays have the opacicity reduced from what is in the text.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
When you convert it to black ... is you goal to turn it into black art for purposes of printing transparency for burning a screen for screen printing? If so, then you need to transform that gradient into halftone dots. What software are you using? Someone familiar with it can advise how to accomplish that (if possible; not all graphics apps can generate halftones).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is sublimation I believe you need to make color changes in the original art file like .ai for Adobe Illustrator. To me that image looks like only the wrays of the sun are in a gradient but both the center and the wrays have the opacicity reduced from what is in the text.
Correct. Just the rays.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you convert it to black ... is you goal to turn it into black art for purposes of printing transparency for burning a screen for screen printing? If so, then you need to transform that gradient into halftone dots. What software are you using? Someone familiar with it can advise how to accomplish that (if possible; not all graphics apps can generate halftones).

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Okay. I use CorelDraw X6. I would do something like this:

• Select the object.
  • Bitmaps | Convert to Bitmap
  • At the dialog select: Full Color, No Anti Aliasing, and Transparent Background
  • Select the resulting bitmap.
  • Bitmaps | Mode | Black and White (1-bit)
  • At the dialog select: Method = Halftone, Screen Type = Dot. 22 is an okay screen angle. LPI depends on how high your mesh count is and how fine a dot your exposure system can support. I generally use 45 or 55 LPI with my 200 mesh screens. The rule of thumb is that your mesh count should be at least 4X your LPI, but you can fudge that a bit.

Once you got that bit done, select the object and set the outline color to K from a CMYK pallet or to Pantone Black (and the fill to transparent or white, if it isn't already). Then you should be able to print the film.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Here is an alternative (untested but should work).
1. Convert that png to grayscale by selecting Image > Mode > grayscale.
2. Add a white background layer.
3. Select Layer > Flatten image.
4. Make 2 layer copies.
5. Click on the top layer, and then select Filter > Pixelate > Color Halftone

You should be able to figure out the rest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay. I use CorelDraw X6. I would do something like this:

• Select the object.
  • Bitmaps | Convert to Bitmap
  • At the dialog select: Full Color, No Anti Aliasing, and Transparent Background
  • Select the resulting bitmap.
  • Bitmaps | Mode | Black and White (1-bit)
  • At the dialog select: Method = Halftone, Screen Type = Dot. 22 is an okay screen angle. LPI depends on how high your mesh count is and how fine a dot your exposure system can support. I generally use 45 or 55 LPI with my 200 mesh screens. The rule of thumb is that your mesh count should be at least 4X your LPI, but you can fudge that a bit.

Once you got that bit done, select the object and set the outline color to K from a CMYK pallet or to Pantone Black (and the fill to transparent or white, if it isn't already). Then you should be able to print the film.

Does that make sense?
Thank you I will try this!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is an alternative (untested but should work).
1. Convert that png to grayscale by selecting Image > Mode > grayscale.
2. Add a white background layer.
3. Select Layer > Flatten image.
4. Make 2 layer copies.
5. Click on the top layer, and then select Filter > Pixelate > Color Halftone

You should be able to figure out the rest.
Thank you I will try this as well to see which image will look better!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cannot figure what I am doing wrong. So I have a customer who sent me a svg file. When I convert it to black, it will change to a soild black logo. The logo is a sunbrust with gradient. HELP!!! I've been trying to find some tutorials and have not had such luck. I will attach the picture of the design she sent me.
Free tshirt designs at Home

·
Registered
1 Posts
Evening, I opened up your svg file directly in Photoshop. Once there, I converted to grayscale; then, I inverted the entire image. Afterwards, you can adjust the brightness/contrast accordingly.

rcubed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts