T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love making T-Shirts. I started out with the purchased desings like from ProWorld and such and have done some of my own transfers with my printer but now I have a challenge and would love some guidance.

I live in a really small town in Texas and the largest town is an hour and a half away. I have had a LOT of requests for shirts like team shirts and girl scout shirts.

Would like advise on whether it is better (and cheaper) to purchase cut letters, have someone set up the designs and I press them or to get a vinyl cutter (which I know nothing about but would love to learn). Can anyone help? I really need to try to do at least 12 girl scout shirts in about 2 weeks so quick replies would be appreciated.

Thanks
Josie:)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Your actual cost of materials would be less if you owned a vinyl cutter. However, a vinyl cutter is going to be an investment that you want to be sure of, and you'll also want to allot some time to learn it:) For these jobs you might find a local sign shop (all of which have vinyl cutters) and take them the material that you want to use for the shirts and get them to cut it for you. Of course, you could always have a supplier such as Stahls or Dalco do the custom cuts for you, but you will have a longer turn time and ultimately a higher price. You can get about 5 yards of material for about $20-30 and that should cover the 12 shirts, but make sure to find out how much someone will charge to cut it for you. Just my suggestion...

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I think you can offer more of a variety using an outside company like www.transferexpress.com for everything you need. You know your cost and styles upfront and very little work on your part. I got some great sample numbers from them and bought their "Idea Book" that contain hundreds of designs the require no more than name or logo or mascot change and colors and they will print. You get it and press it. Anyway check it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much. These are really good ideas. I will be sure to check them out.

As for vinyl cutters, does anyone know anything about them? Are there any that are recommended more than others? I have been looking at a little one called Craft Robo. Does anyone know anything about it? Still just looking for answers.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
As for vinyl cutters, does anyone know anything about them? Are there any that are recommended more than others? I have been looking at a little one called Craft Robo
To help start you out: if you search for "craft robo" and "vinyl cutter" in the forum search box, you'll find lots of tips and recommendations :)

Maybe others will have more input to share here as well.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Craft Robo seems to be a decent cutter if you just need a smaller one. I recommend at least a 24" wide one, due to speed, downforce, cuttable area etc. I believe the Craft Robo has an optic eye sensor as well which is definitely a plus. This means that you can print out photo quality images with an inkjet printer and the cutter trims around them for you. Other brands that I like are Roland & Mimaki (larger format ones).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts