T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure which thread to post this in but here it is: I'm new into the screen printing business was hoping some one could guide me in the direction or process of being able to buy t shirts whole sale in southern California??? Is it a business license I need to have in order to buy shirts from the manufactures if not what do I need if so where do i get a license and how much do they cost and is it possible to have obtain one in less than a month?????please help

· Registered
16 Posts
you need a FEIN number, or federal tax ID number.
you dont need a business license to receive one of these.
google "how to get FEIN california online" and that first link will sort you thru the process.
once you receive this, go and get yourself a sales tax and use ID and use tax ID thru the state. you will need both of those numbers for American Apparel application, so i would assume you need both for most other wholesale companies.
hope this helps. let me know if you need any other help - i just went thru this process about a week ago, with success.

· Registered
209 Posts
Let me offer some advice. Find a small screen printer who all ready has a tax exempt number and accounts at several distributors. Strike a deal with him to print your work on your shirts that you will buy on his account. No money out of pocket for him you just want to buy on his account for him to print for you. That will increase his overall volume and help him get better pricing on the rest of his work and lock you into using him for printing-WIN WIN. You will avoid having to get a business licence and a tax id number right away. You will want to get this later on so you can collect sales tax from your retail customers if you have any but as a DBA you don't always need a business license and a tax ID number right away. If you act as a broker and sell wholesale to retailers you don't have to collect sales tax anyway if they are exempt. That way you buy exempt, and sell exempt and make a nice profit in the middle. GOOD LUCK!

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you need a FEIN number, or federal tax ID number.
you dont need a business license to receive one of these.
google "how to get FEIN california online" and that first link will sort you thru the process.
once you receive this, go and get yourself a sales tax and use ID and use tax ID thru the state. you will need both of those numbers for American Apparel application, so i would assume you need both for most other wholesale companies.
hope this helps. let me know if you need any other help - i just went thru this process about a week ago, with success.
Thanks for the info I'm going to look I to it right away

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me offer some advice. Find a small screen printer who all ready has a tax exempt number and accounts at several distributors. Strike a deal with him to print your work on your shirts that you will buy on his account. No money out of pocket for him you just want to buy on his account for him to print for you. That will increase his overall volume and help him get better pricing on the rest of his work and lock you into using him for printing-WIN WIN. You will avoid having to get a business licence and a tax id number right away. You will want to get this later on so you can collect sales tax from your retail customers if you have any but as a DBA you don't always need a business license and a tax ID number right away. If you act as a broker and sell wholesale to retailers you don't have to collect sales tax anyway if they are exempt. That way you buy exempt, and sell exempt and make a nice profit in the middle. GOOD LUCK!
The thing is i Already have my own equipment to start printing t shirts set up in my back yard so I just be ether off getting my tax I'd # right since I'm able to do my own work instead if paying some one else for it?????let me know what u think I'm just getting into the business and could use all the advice I can get thanks or your help

· Registered
209 Posts
OH well in that case your off to the races like it or not. Best thing to do then is the following.
1. You do need a State Sales Tax exempt number this is the certificate that allows you to buy goods exempt from taxes so that you can then sell them to another exempt customer or legally collect sales tax from a customer. (not a FEIN#-Federal Employers Identificatin Number usually refered to as a businesses SS#)
2. Set up purchasing accounts with your t-shirt and apparel blanks vendors like Broder Bros, Sanmar, S&S, TSF. TSC, Augusta, Delta, or any of a hundred others.

I choose to go with whoever gives me the best price and provides the best available inventory, with free or cheap shipping and can deliver to me the next day. All of those have web sites.

Almost all of them will sell to you right away even without a tax exempt number they just charge you sales tax until you get it. GOOD LUCK

· Registered
209 Posts
OH YEAH- In this economy I recommend-DO NOT BUY ON CREDIT. ALL of the blank vendors I buy from I choose to pay COD. This means If I collect half down from my customer and pay for my goods as they arrive I'm really not tying up my cash, I'm not having to "MANAGE" an account, and my vendors all love me because I buy a LOT of blank goods every year and I'm still considered a "Cash account". I KNOW I pay the cheapest price possible from the distributor, I ALWAYS get the deal I ask for because I have no credit issues and lastly I sleep better at night knowing my vendors love me. : ) Besides- Dave Ramsey would surely appove!

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH YEAH- In this economy I recommend-DO NOT BUY ON CREDIT. ALL of the blank vendors I buy from I choose to pay COD. This means If I collect half down from my customer and pay for my goods as they arrive I'm really not tying up my cash, I'm not having to "MANAGE" an account, and my vendors all love me because I buy a LOT of blank goods every year and I'm still considered a "Cash account". I KNOW I pay the cheapest price possible from the distributor, I ALWAYS get the deal I ask for because I have no credit issues and lastly I sleep better at night knowing my vendors love me. : ) Besides- Dave Ramsey would surely appove!
Alright good stuff man thanks alot I appreciate all of this....how cheap do you end up paying for t shirts when you but them whole sale???....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.