T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am losing my distress in the image at some point in my process. I should note that it is a rather fine distress. Right now I am testing it on 158 mesh due to the fact that we use this distress a lot. I think a 230 mesh would help but it is not an option due to there being several color changes per order. To give you an idea we do 48pc/1-6 color runs with sometimes up to 3 color changes per order, so I will have navy for half then have to switch to white. Thats why I dont really want to bump up to a 230.

Im imaging screens on a direct to screen printer(m&r Iscreen) and losing the detail when washing out the screens. When I expose the same art with a vellum it comes out perfect. I should note we have 2 exposure units, one is for the vellum setups and the other is for the iscreen setups. I thought it might be burn time since the larger exposure unit has more setting options. I calibrated both for a 60 second exposure @ 1000kw and still the same problem. Have tested out different resolutions on the iscreen and it helped a little bit but still the same issue. Should I raise the exposure time and power? The larger burn unit can be set to 1000kw, 3000kw, or 6000kw. I am operating in a temp controlled darkroom so ambient light is not getting to the screens. Im at a loss right now and have to get this figured out asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm familiar with the I-screen,but it sounds like it could be one of two things. Either exposure time or the emulsion. I wonder if the emulsion is not adhering to the screen with the I-screen. I know that these machines aren't cheap, I'd call the rep.

Glad I came across this thread, I've been looking at the direct to screen machines myself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would call the rep but I know more than him about the machine lol. They arent really any help at all sadly. We have the 20th machine they sold and most others were sold in multiples to other companies. Im pretty sure the emulsion is adhereing fine. We have a specific drying room for the screens after they are coated. Temp and humidity are monitored and controlled. When I burn the same image using vellums it washes out fine.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Is the image in the screen good and maybe this is a printing problem, or is the emulsion coming off the screen after a color wash?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's hard to tell. The iscreen provides so many variables that "could" be causing a problem. Im going to have to just troubleshoot. I dont think its a coating/emulsion issue. Im pretty sure its the iscreen print res and/or exposure issue at this point. I have done print tests with the same image on autos and manual presses using a variety of pressures/squeeges/inks and the results are consistent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like the Iscreen is not laying down a solid enough black and you're having to over develop to wash out. Try using a water dip tank for the development, that might help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts