T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Apologies this turned into a bit of a book, but trying to give detail in the hope people will be kind and offer much needed help

I bought a used Texjet Plus advanced last weekend from a private seller. Saw it working so parted with my cash and brought it home.

Since then things haven't quite gone to plan...

My usual workhorse laptop an HP probook running windows 7 couldn't find the printer despite having installed the drivers. it couldn't find it automatically and a manual set up didn't seem to do much either - though it did at one point think it was linked to an Epson 3800 not 4800. Tried different USB leads. different ports - all of which work with my other printers, plotters, engravers etc.
I even tried both sockets on the printer as it has 2 - one says printer the other polyprint controller
Tried another laptop, an Advent running Win 10 and got further but everytime I tried to print in the rip, the software just vanished off screen, no error messages, just went

So I have had issues with the rip software, think I may have resolved that yesterday with the help of the seller and Amaya - needed to re-register the dongle with the RIGHT email account and then was told by the manufacturers that the version I have 6.6 was too old to use with anything past Win XP so I would need to upgrade to 7.1 and they would let me know the cost.

So I downloaded the trial version from the website so I could see if I could get anything to happen.using the latest version and the Win10 laptop. Rip software seemed stable albeit in demo mode. But still said printer was offline. I had tried going in via control panel etc from the PC trying to do test prints etc. Now I had been told by the seller to use the bottom usb connection "printer" in desperation I tried the polyprint controller and the printer sprung into life.

My joy and relief were huge, my wife has been asking some very pointed questions about was I sure I had seen it working etc. I had been feeling like I should have just bought a used car with the money and driven it into a wall as a better investment.

The printer was whirring away, the black T shirt loaded started to get a coat of white ink, then the printer started to stutter a little, seemed a bit stuck. Think it was trying to do a test print rather than the image I wanted to try from the rip software.

After a while of not much happening, I tried pressing the button to eject the shirt as I didn't want the stuttering to burn anything out. Then I started getting error messages.

The printer window was telling me to clear paper jam from the rear feed then it showed me an error code of 1226 and said please call the service centre. Googling this said it seemed to usually be a print feed error

I turned it off, unplugged, waited and turned it back on, having removed the shirt in case that was fouling on something.

When it re-started the platen loaded very very slowly and really wasn't moving so I gave it a very gentle nudge and it then seemed to move a bit under power then stop again, so I nudged it again.
Then the bottom display gave me an error of "0003 no enc pulses" and the top screen was telling me to either press the down arrow to clear a paper jam and/or to open and close the maintenance door.

Did some reading on here and elsewhere and saw that the maintenance door error is given as something to do with the platen not being loaded in to the machine properly and the 0003 error seemed connected to that.

So with trepidation, great care and an allen key, I removed the covers on the machine as the forums had said dust/fluff build up might be the issue for 0003 and Epson forums said an extra load on the FR motor may cause the other error.

I found loads of dust and fluff inside the machine so carefully wiped and cleaned wherever I could. Didnt seem to be any restriction on the platen feed channel, nothing jammed in the way and it felt like it moved freely. Put the covers back, powered up and the platen again moved in very slowly, stopping as before.

So last night I read about the disk at the back of the machine which needs cleaning, I had given it a cursory glance last night and saw a clear piece of plastic with a clock face printed on it. So this morning I have opened the case again, removed the panels, vacuumed inside, wiped inside, added a tiny bit of lubricant to the platen channel. I thin spent more time on the disk with the clock face.

I powered the machine on with the rear panel off so I could see what was happening. The clock started with the number 9 next to the indicator. after a few seconds it whirred round pretty fast and I saw a small red LED glowing. then a pause as other operations went on, then it whirred fast again and at the point the platen moved in quickly as I think it should but it hit the rear travel stop switch triggering another error message on the bottom panel

So my theory is that the dial has become out of sync with the platen, trouble is I am unsure how to reset it or what number the clock face should point to etc.

I really do need help, having invested a lot of money we could barely afford into the machine, the pressure is getting to me.

I know its a complex machine and much more versatile than the other DTG I used to have, a Roland BT12. So I really do need some advice and help please. I've been printing shorts for about 8 months and learned a fair bit with the Roland, then with vinyl and sub but this is beyond me at the moment

Many thanks guys

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The printer is just very dirty...
The best way to troubleshoot this printer is to remember that it is actually an Epson paper printer.
Otherwise its error messages related to paper feed etc will be confusing.

The "0003" is an encoder error (the clock as you cal it).
Dust on the encoder wheel or something restricting the movement of the platen will trigger this error.

The 1226 is also an encoder error, but this encoder is a film belt parallel to the carriage rod of the print head. Just google "encoder strip" to see what I mean.
Again dust or difficulty in the movement of the printhead will trigger this.

Do you have any photos by the way? This could actually be my old printer.
I had these problems too (not all at the same time), but learning how to fix this printer helped me learn how to build my own conversions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Thanks so much for the reply and the much needed advice!
In the words of Steptoe "That's not dust its bleedin topsoil mate!" could have summed up the inside of the machine.
I have used optical wipes and Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the disk encoder and the encoder strip, took off the cover over the print assembly and wiped out more dust...
Did get some inky black off the encoder strip, but the wheel at the back looked clean on the cloths

It would be funny/brilliant if it was your old one - serial number for this one is 0215MBE2141

Gave it a while for the IPA to evaporate and just switched it back on, seemed to be booting fine but has hit the rear switch again, giving a 0001 limit switch error
So I switched it off via the epson on off switch couldn't see a way to reset
I manually pulled the platen back out to the front and re-started the machine, now the encoder wheel is rotating merrily but no movement onto the drive for the platen
again gave the platen a gentle push and after a while it goes in but then the same stuttering motors stepping in and out
the Epson screen alternates between the open/close maintenance door and then the press down arrow to remove paper.
So I nudged the platen in the hope of seating it and again it trips the limit switch - doesnt seem any further forward yet

Attachments

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I cannot remember the serial number, and I cannot tell if it's this one from these photos.
My printer was spotless when I sold it by the way, because I wanted to get my asking price. It was a couple of years ago.
Gave it a while for the IPA to evaporate and just switched it back on, seemed to be booting fine but has hit the rear switch again, giving a 0001 limit switch error
Here is the cause of this [TEXJET] - error code 0001

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello Sir,

the errors you are getting like Tabob says has to do with the platen movement. We recommend removing also the middle cover that protects the belts and clean everyhting there aswell. In addition you might need to loose a bit the brown belt on the "cloak" but that has to be done carefully as if you lose it too much platen will not be able to move.

Have you considered getting help from Amaya UK? They are the official distributors and they are very capable of solving any issue you have. In addition and most importantly they can train you to use the printer and keep it at its best shape. We can always jump to a call to help you out but we can do that up to a point remotely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cannot remember the serial number, and I cannot tell if it's this one from these photos.
My printer was spotless when I sold it by the way, because I wanted to get my asking price. It was a couple of years ago.

Here is the cause of this [TEXJET] - error code 0001
Many thanks, I'm sure yours was in fab condition, this one is a bit "lived in" at the moment - but I will get there I hope!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Sir,

the errors you are getting like Tabob says has to do with the platen movement. We recommend removing also the middle cover that protects the belts and clean everyhting there aswell. In addition you might need to loose a bit the brown belt on the "cloak" but that has to be done carefully as if you lose it too much platen will not be able to move.

Have you considered getting help from Amaya UK? They are the official distributors and they are very capable of solving any issue you have. In addition and most importantly they can train you to use the printer and keep it at its best shape. We can always jump to a call to help you out but we can do that up to a point remotely.
Hi

Thanks for that. I did remove the middle cover and the side covers too so I could check for belt damage, foreign objects etc and I cleaned the rails and lightly lubricated them after. I will see if I can loosen the belt slightly tomorrow

I did phone Amaya uk re the issues with the rip I was having. The update for that is quite expensive which makes me wonder if I should get an old laptop running XP and run it from there as a dedicated pc.

I could certainly do with some expert help and training. \Do you know how much they charge? Sadly money is a little tight for us at the moment as my wife is unable to work

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The update for that is quite expensive which makes me wonder if I should get an old laptop running XP and run it from there as a dedicated pc.
Option 1: You could use VirtualBox and install windowsXP as a virtual machine ( may be a bit too technical for some people).
Option 2: You can get ACRORIP 9.0.3 from ebay for $20

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Option 1: You could use VirtualBox and install windowsXP as a virtual machine ( may be a bit too technical for some people).
Option 2: You can get ACRORIP 9.0.3 from ebay for $20
Thanks so.much!
Don't suppose you're anywhere near Essex and fancy a days work passing on some of your expertise? Paid of course

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi

Thanks for that. I did remove the middle cover and the side covers too so I could check for belt damage, foreign objects etc and I cleaned the rails and lightly lubricated them after. I will see if I can loosen the belt slightly tomorrow

I did phone Amaya uk re the issues with the rip I was having. The update for that is quite expensive which makes me wonder if I should get an old laptop running XP and run it from there as a dedicated pc.

I could certainly do with some expert help and training. \Do you know how much they charge? Sadly money is a little tight for us at the moment as my wife is unable to work

Many thanks
Hello,

I understand the limited budget and we can do as much as we can to help you together with Amaya remotely. But please keep in mind that dtg its not that hard to learn but has a small learning curve. Trying alone could result in a higher cost for testing and making samples.

Our recommendation is mainly get a training on how to maintain printer properly, how to pretreat the shirts correctly and how to fixate the shirt.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I'm based in Falkirk.
Anyway, I don't think you have a major problem...
It's probably a bit of lint somewhere or some other minor issue.

One more thing to check is the encoder wheel ("the clock") sensor itself.
Make sure it's clean and no lint is trapped in there.

Once you do this, follow the Texjet manual instructions for how to setup the printer from new.
Ignore the ink part obviously, but follow the other steps including the nozzle check.

Another possible cause could be failure of the motor itself.
I know you said you've seen the printer working... but sometimes luck is not on our side.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry thanks to Tabob post i saw that I dint include the way to get in contact with our support team. Please use the link below:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi All

had a sanity break yesterday while I had to fill out a load of forms

Back at the printer today, cleaned everything I can get access to, disabled the paper size check on the Epson control panel as directed...

So today's problem is probably related or possibly was an intermittent thing or weakest link in the chain
I turn the machine on, the encoder wheel spins as does the cog it is linked to by the short black drive belt. But the grey belt which pulls the platen is isn't moving, maybe it moves a fraction..

The platen belt is attached both ends, teeth seem fine, moves easily by hand and when it does the platen moves in and out
So there seems to be some disconnect between the top of the gear wheel driven by the encoder wheel and the bottom, hidden (of course it would be lol) part attached to the platen drive belt.
Cant see a way to get to it to see and no loose bits around it

I bow to the great knowledge out there in the ether and beg for more help

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Ok you found the problem.
Most likely the platen belt pulley is probably lose.
You can verify that by looking at the shaft of the large metal gear next to "the clock".
It the shaft moves with the gear... then the problem is the pulley bellow it.
You just have to tighten the allen screws holding it in place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so the pulley is tightened and all loads properly when I switch on.

Issue I have remaining is that the rip software seems to have now lost my email address but for now I can use it in demo mode

The remaining problem (and its SOOOO frustrating!) is the texjet is refusing to talk to the laptops.

I have uninstalled the Epson 4800 from control panel and re-installed the drivers from the Epson EU site
it never finds the printer automatically. Tried both the usb connections the one marked printer and the one marked texjet controller. Tried 2 different usb leads which work with my sub printer etc, tried different usb ports on the laptop, tried a second laptop and it isnt finding anything. First laptop is win 7 the other is win 10.

If I go to manual set-up I have been selecting LTP1 or usb virtual printer 1 and when I open the rip software (tried different versions of that too!) it says the printer is offline.
Both status screens on the texjet are saying they're ready to print and really frustratingly when I plug in or unplug the texjet from the usb sockets the laptop chimes to tell me that something is connecting.

I even tried connecting to the usb connection on the top of the printer when you disconnect the cover but still nothing.

Feels like I take 1 step forward and 2 back at the moment

Any advice or tips? I messaged the seller and he said he had loads of problems connecting it at first. Windering if I need to see if he will sell his laptop!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have uninstalled the Epson 4800 from control panel and re-installed the drivers from the Epson EU site
It's not a 4800
It's either 3800 or 3880.

Why don't you follow the instructions in the manual?
Install the driver first and then connect the printer.
if it doesn't detect it, try a different USB port
If n difference try scan for hardware changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not a 4800
It's either 3800 or 3880.

Why don't you follow the instructions in the manual?
Install the driver first and then connect the printer.
if it doesn't detect it, try a different USB port
If n difference try scan for hardware changes.
Hi
many thanks again
The only manual I have is one I downloaded for a similar model and it said 4800 so thats what threw me.
I had downloaded the drivers before connecting but still having the issues, changed to 3800 drivers and yet another usb lead but now getting it as an unspecified usb device, I will keep on tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts