T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am planning to start doing t-shirt as the sign work is not making much money. I plan to use printable vinyl on t-shirts but I have heard that solvent ink on printable vinyl does not last too long and fades.

Can anyone please advises, is this is correct and what kind of wash results I can expect and what is the quality like?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sam, there is too much to learn for me to be able to answer that in one post. Please use the "search" function. There is much to be learned!

By the way, this is the first time I'm ever hearing of using solvent inks for vinyl.

Edit: Well, I did a search and see that there was a very brief discussion of it ~7 years ago. Since I'm new I guess I just hadn't heard of it. That probably means that most have moved on to newer technologies.

But that inspired me to type a bit more. Dye sublimation ink using an ink jet printer to print on the correct transfer paper is the way to go for polyester shirts. The more poly the better since the ink will only merge with the polyester. Oh, and you need very light colored shirts for this.

There are a few examples of differing papers to use with an ink jet or laser (whichever the paper is made for) to get your full color prints on other materials. Or you could get a screen printer to print up some plastisol transfers that you can then iron on.

Iron on? Well, you'll need a heat press. That goes for sublimation also.

Or were you talking about printing directly onto the t shirts? In that case prepare your wallet. Those printers are quite expensive and you will still need a heat press to cure the ink into the shirt. Oh, and you'll have to pretreat some colors of shirt before printing on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bryan,

I think you have misunderstood me, I am using a VS-300i print and cut machine which uses eco solvent inks. From Stahls you can buy Printable Heat Transfer Vinyl which you print on then contour cut then weed and mask and finally press.

I understand the process I just do not know what the quality and durability is like and that what I would like some advice on before I go down this path.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Bryan,

I think you have misunderstood me, I am using a VS-300i print and cut machine which uses eco solvent inks. From Stahls you can buy Printable Heat Transfer Vinyl which you print on then contour cut then weed and mask and finally press.

I understand the process I just do not know what the quality and durability is like and that what I would like some advice on before I go down this path.
We use the Roland BN-20 it is also a print/cut machine.
We've noticed that there is a life-span for the vinyl, but I've seen customers with shirts that are 200+ washes, and it does show wear, but you can still see the graphic.

If you decide to make stickers, I would advise you to get a lamination for them. I don't use one myself, but stickers just printed, and not laminated do go through abrasion, and can wear off after a while.
Sand especially is not a friend for stickers! LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.