T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok its finally happened, I got distracted and ended up pressing a vinyl transfer the wrong side up. Now I have a big glue stain on the top platen of my press! Yes Im an idiot I know! Well anyways Ive tried letting it heat up and pressing as much asI can on to some old rags.

WHat I would like to know is can I clean the glue off using some methalated spirits or plain rubbing alcohol? Or is this going to somehow affect the performance of my press? Im a little tapped out at the minute so I can order any cleaner and I need my press back in action.

Advice please, many thanks.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
This is another reason you should use a teflon sheet over the transfer. Meanwhile, get some baking parchment from the closest grocery store, cut a piece big enough to cover the platen and press away. The image will wear away in two or three years if you don't do it again. Just make sure to place the parchment on each time you press. God Bless.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just did this too. I was playing around with my new press and didn't have the teflon sheet. STUPID! I know, but I couldn't wait. Lesson learned.
Thanks for the advice. My house stinks now! It smells like burnt plastic! YUCK!

Kimberly

·
Registered
22 Posts
Turn it off, let it cool to room temp, and any STRONG solvent will work. We use xylene for most nasty cleaning tasks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have had good results using naptha (lighter fluid) for cleaning the platen when cold. This removed the glue quite well, but I cleaned it immediately after I had a problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Go get EZ Off Heat Press cleaner. Many of the vendors here sell the product. It will clean the press. And as many others have suggest, get a teflon sheet. They are not that expensive and will save you from accidents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for the advice guys, much appreciated. I knew it was a matter of time before I did something stupid...but oh well. Ill try get some of that EZ off stuff but might give it a go with some solvents first if I still have any. Cheers

·
Registered
160 Posts
Go ahead and try the solvents. But for an absolute clean to your press, go for the EZ Off Heat Press cleaner. I bought my Mighty Press used. It was actually the one they Imprintables had and used at a few trade shows. So it only had a few hits on it. After using it a few times, I noticed faint marks appearing on white colored shirts. So I used solvents to clean it. They worked okay and some of the grim and dirt on the press came off. But the problem kept on returning. Then I bought the EZ Off Heat Press cleaner and used it. My jaw hit the floor with how much grime came off of my press. A lot that the solvents did not get. And it lasts for a long time. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I found s product called Dritz iron-off hot iron cleaner. Cleaned the top platen great after I forgot to use the pressing sheet with opaque for darks
Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts